Method of supporting a Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am considering removing the upstairs portion of a Chimney breast, it is shared with the neighbours who also want theirs removing, I thought about Gallows brackets but I don't think they will offer sufficient support to the remaining stack.

We both wish to keep the stack on the roof as it is a strong feature You can see a drawing I have done of the general idea.

Would very much appreciate comments.

Cheers

Marty

Sponsored Links
Is there any particular reason you don't want to remove the stack?

IMO this is by far the easiest and safest method - nothing to support that way.

It does of course depends on the aesthetic value of the chimney stack.

EDIT - Ignore me, I just re-read, and you like the chimney stack

Marcos

Doesn't seem to spread the load very well. If it were me I would want the steel to go lower and cross more supports than just the party wall....

I'm not sure of how much load is actually there without counting the bricks I think it is about 300+ the motor and pots. that allows for 20 courses of which I don't think there is.

Sponsored Links
You must support the stack on load bearing walls- the usual and safe method is steels. Regards JohnC.

You must support the stack on load bearing walls- the usual and safe method is steels. Regards JohnC.

The party wall is a load bearing wall, my proposal does includes steals

The usual method seems to be gallows brackets bolted to the party wall which to me seem flimsy to support what is in effect usually 5 tonne the load of my chimney seems to be approximately 800Kg which I believe would be adequately supported by the method shown ?

Its the cantilevering on a blocks width I don't like. Why not give an engineer a look to make certain?

Its the cantilevering on a blocks width I don't like. Why not give an engineer a look to make certain?

Im sure the BCO will provide sufficient advice on submission I'm no opposed to using an engineer just cant afford the fees, I know my own limits whilst the work is well within my capabilities i realise the structural side is something I will need clarification on.

I don't intend doing anything without Building regs - just gauging reaction to an idea. :)

Cheers

Martyn

I have never seen a stack on anything other than supports, that are supported on their ends Martyn. I dought very much that a building inspector will go along with your idea. Regards JohnC

If I'm understanding it correctly you want to put two steels in to act as a see-saw balancing eachother under the weight of the bricks. Problem with this is that as soon as the wind blows on one side of it you'll be unbalanced and you're going to have problems with a basically unstable structure.

Maybe it'd work if you put some gallows brackets under the steels to prop the cantilevers...

:LOL: spot on , Joe. :LOL: Try googling Maggie Thatcher and find out who rebuilt the Grand in Brighton after the failed bombing. They used repro. fibreglass chimneys there :idea:

We've just been through the process of having our chimney breasts removed throughout the house, but keeping the original stack.

We employed the services of a structural engineer, and i'm glad we did, as our local BCO wasn't happy with the solution the SE had come up with. Structurally it may have been sound, but it didn't match what BCO wanted, and it took a further 3 revisions of the structural plans before these were passed.

If you were to do it yourself, the BCO would want you to prove how your solution will hold up the existing load by calculations. From what I understood, they're not just looking for a basic short term solution, but one that will work for the house in the long term

Not sure if this has been covered as I haven't been bothered to read all the threads, but:

Gallows brackets are the easiest solution and terminate the stacks in the loft space (out of sight out of mind!). You have a dividing wall between you and your neighbours property and they will be able to do exactly the same!!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back