metric pipes imperial pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I'm an architect in boston, and am trying to specify a european sink for a bathroom in the states. the grate and all the pipework is shown in metric on the installation tech sheets, and I don't know if there are imperial measurement pipes/fittings which are at all compatible... can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thanks,
g

Sponsored Links
Can you be more specific about the problem? Can't you just convert milimetres to inches?

I can translate into inches, but need to know if anyone has had dealt with this before, as I understand there is more to it than just getting a pipe which is close to the same size. I think the only metric / imperial pipes which join up are the 15mm and the 1/2".

are there connectors that can be bought to join a metric and an imperial pipe? and with a waste pipe, are there any problems with the differential in flow rate, such that there is siphoning? that sort of thing.

When you say imperial, do you mean the same sizes of pipework as we had in UK before going metric (in 1973?)? Certainly there are connectors between our old imperial sizes and metric sizes, but will these be the same as your US imperial sizes?

For example, 1/2" copper tube is almost equal to 15mm, but 3/4" (21.5 mm) is substantially different to 22mm. Not sure beyond this without checking, and since it's 11.30 pm here I won't be up much longer to help you further.

But why is this relevant to your situation? Won't you just use US standard tube, fittings, taps (faucets), etc. connected to the european "sink" (is this what we call a wash basin?)?

Sponsored Links
Just an idea but what if one of us was to put together a few samples of pipes and fittings and put them on ebay for you? With airmail you could have them in your hands within a week or sooner with a courier.
Would consider a swap for a crate of Mug rootbeer ;)

European is probably not the same as UK.....when I went to France once, the feed pipes etc. were different to ours :( ...could try search for Franke ,they make kitchen sinks for our market in Germany...they have been helpful to me before.May know of euro bathroom manufacturers.... :confused:

When I was skiing in Colorado I took a day out to have some real fun and visit a local plumbers' merchant.
( :evil: shut UP everyone :evil: )
I bought a few US fittings. Which I have now probably lost, but yes the 1/2 inch would be compatible with our 15mm and the 3/4 would need the adaptor to fit 22mm.

Remember that the metric fittings are measured on the outside of the pipe and the imperial on the inside.

ChrisR said:
now probably lost, but yes the 1/2 inch would be compatible with our 15mm and the 3/4 would need the adaptor to fit 22mm.

Yeh, 1/2 inch in UK is 1/2 inch in US. Only their gallons are different to ours for some reason. I wouldnt worry mate. Just use American taps for it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back