MF WAGOBOX 221-4 cable retainers (minutiae)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone has pondered this... I'm using a WAGOBOX 221-4 Maintenance Free junction box and it has two cable retainers (cable grips), one for one group of cables and one for another. As I'm only using it for an inline twin & earth connector, I'll only be utilising one grip which leaves the second one redundant. Interestingly, each grip is marked 1) and 2) respectively on its moulding. It just strikes me that it would be more beneficial to move the second grip in front of the first to fortify the grip of the other one.

I know it's sad of me and in a hundred years none of this will matter but what do you think? I wonder if doing this will render the box as not MF (like if you left off the very, very important securing cable tie : - )

Attachments

• photo_2_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    photo_2_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo_6_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    photo_6_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 68
  • photo_7_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    photo_7_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo_8_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    photo_8_2023-08-09_18-52-16.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Nothing practical to stop you moving the second cable grip over. Or you could just move one cable over to grip 2?

The MF Wagobox with Wago connectors complies with BS EN 60670-01 and BS EN 60670-22, so maybe by moving the grip (a site modification) it should be resubmitted to the testing authority for approval, but nobody would ever think of doing that.

As you say,

minutiae​

cutting my lawn is more important. Have a nice day.

Nothing practical to stop you moving the second cable grip over. Or you could just move one cable over to grip 2?

The MF Wagobox with Wago connectors complies with BS EN 60670-01 and BS EN 60670-22, so maybe by moving the grip (a site modification) it should be resubmitted to the testing authority for approval, but nobody would ever think of doing that.

As you say,

minutiae​

cutting my lawn is more important. Have a nice day.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer Taylor and sorry it wasn’t one of the juiciest posts. Such great weather for mowing, hope it goes well.

My understaning is that with the wagoboxes which slot you put the grip in changes how tight it grips, for different sized cables.

Sponsored Links
My understaning is that with the wagoboxes which slot you put the grip in changes how tight it grips, for different sized cables.
OK that’s interesting thanks. Maybe that applies to other models? Looking at the 221-4 I, can’t see any difference between each slot’s width or their springiness etc.

You can't see the extra plastic supports on the outside one, that extend the rubber further before it's allowed to bend?

Sorry Plugwash, I misinterpreted what you said, thinking you meant "slot" as in the channel a group of cables uses. Of course you meant the slot that the plastic grippers slot into – thanks.

You can't see the extra plastic supports on the outside one, that extend the rubber further before it's allowed to bend?
Detlef, yes I did see the extra supports on the outside one and used them for the 1mm² as shown the photos, but thanks for bringing it to my attention in case I hadn’t noticed.

Looking at pic 3 the right hand slot is definetly narrower than the left, so smaller cables would be held better

Looking at pic 3 the right hand slot is definetly narrower than the left, so smaller cables would be held better
Thanks. It does look that in the photo, but it's just camera distortion. I've just looked really closely at another box and both cable entry channels are the same width.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back