MFI

I have only ever installed standard carcasses with individual doors???

I think this is the norm?

B & Q - By far the better quality, more precise and robust, like I said 18mm chipboard drawer bases and steel sides integrated runners.

Also, cos you collect them yourself, they are not damaged in transit, and you don't get a corner base unit when you order a 300mm wall unit... :rolleyes:

Also, I've had side/top panels with the melamine half sanded off with MFI stuff. and (only one) that i rejected due to the innaccuracies of the machining cam holes and dowel holes 5 mm off line!

Luckily I had enough bits left over from the spare units (the customer had missmeasured :evil: )

Also, the kitchen designer hadn't allowed room for the corner post, so I had to omit this and adjust the opposing drawer front... :D Not the way I like to do things, but needs must etc.

One of customers has a huuuuuuuge kitchen, fully fitted hand made bespoke units. One word. Class.

And no more expensive I would think than an MFI B&Q type.

If I had the budget (and no ability :D ) I would look into this aswell and not dismiss it out of hand.

Enough typing..... ZZZzzzzzzzz

Sponsored Links
Interesting chat...

I went thru several cycles of kitchen quotes, starting with MFI. What p**sed me off most was their 'sale' prices, which in reality were just about acceptable for the stuff you were getting. We then had the 'extra 10% off' if you purchase by the end of the week discussion etc.

Don't do it. Cowboys.... Maybe the fitting is good (in some cases mentioned in the post), but they are salespeople, not kitchen designers. If you go with them, only buy at 'sale' prices. Do use them do design your kitchen though - you get a nice 3d picture and layout - but then go elsewhere to but the stuff ;)

Shopped around ... got some quotes from independents ... some nice kitchens but too expensive. The independents seem to charge silly money for fitting.

End result ... I'll be fitting my kitchen later this year myself. I'll source the electricals off the internet cheaper than MFI, COMET or any dedicated kitchen shop (and use the electrics UK Forum on this site for questions about wiring), I'll floor the kitchen myself (and use the flooring section on this site for useful questions about tiles vs wood flooring - I like wood - the wife likes tiles), and whip out my electric screwdriver and screw every cabinet til it's tight.

Finally, I'll get someone in to 'template' a granite worktop and Robert is your uncle. All for about £7k, compare to the £12k I was quoted elsewhere.

You can build an expensive kitchen very cheaply if you like DIY ...

Cheers,
MOL.
P.S. Hope I don't regret this but found great real wood Birch kitchen units from Ikea. Always hated Ikea but the finish is as good as the independents. I was quoted about 4x the price for Birch kitchen units from other independents. Only problem is the inside units are the usual formica - but most of the time the doors are closed! :LOL: Anyone any opinions on Ikea kitchens???

Find someone with a Howdens trade card, find the kitchen you want in MFI and get them to order it from Howdens, it's about half the price and they will normally deliver within a few days of ordering. They do all the appliances that MFI do too!

Sponsored Links
Mug-o-Latte said:
Interesting chat...
P.S. Hope I don't regret this but found great real wood Birch kitchen units from Ikea. Always hated Ikea but the finish is as good as the independents. I was quoted about 4x the price for Birch kitchen units from other independents. Only problem is the inside units are the usual formica - but most of the time the doors are closed! :LOL: Anyone any opinions on Ikea kitchens???
The IKEA kitchens have actually had very good reviews as I understand. I'm actually considering the shaker style birch one they do myself! :)

Credit to them for actually using 20mm particle board for the carcasses...compared to 18mm for MFI or B&Q...and real veneer instead of that plastic look-a-like $#@T! ;)

The only thing to be wary about is that they follwow Scandinavian standards for all the measurements.

I've ordered a kitchen from MFI. I'm having a professional fit the kitchen for me but everything else I intend to do myself. It'll be at least interesting to see how good the kitchen is and how good their service is. The units I ordered are from the Schreiber range and they're all pre-built - just have to hang doors and fit drawers. I know my brother had a terrible time with MFI because they sent the wrong parts so no doubt I've got that pleasure to come yet, however the finish did appear to be very good and there does appear to be a significant difference between the Schreiber and Hygena stuff.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
or how about more f***ing inconvenience.

Perfect...I'd been trying to think of another meaning for MFI.

The end product, I find, is OK if you don't mind improvising a bit as you build them, but they took six attempts over almost three months two deliver my two kids' bedroom furniture - nothing fancy, just wardrobes and drawers.

In my last house I did all three bedrooms, kitchen and utility with MFI stuff and, apart from a problem with the kitchen sink, everything went smoothly. So, for the new place we obviously went straight back. Oh how things have gone downhill in just a few years...

This time, they phone up the night before its due to be delivered and expect me to be ready to decode the string of item descriptions that wont be coming. By the time you realise that your weekend plans are screwed, the lines are closed or, worse still, you get the "I'm sorry, we can't take your call at the moment. Please call back another time". That one really f***s me off.

Then, when the van does arrive, all the drawer carcases are missing. Back on the phone for over an hour (at national rate!) to convince them that, even though these items are on the checklist, they weren't actually delivered. Then they offer a date three weeks away to re-deliver, and needed a lot of pressure via the store to get something done next day.

Anyway - NEVER GIVE UP NAGGING THEM! I got several lengths of free plinth and a £60 refund for my trouble and could have held out for more. Whether I'll ever use them again depends whether it suits me to do so at the time, but at least I know they're sh*te.

Nick

I had an Ikea kitchen in my last house. It was really simple to order everything (staff actually know something about the product and aren't trying to sell to you). Once you decode the names of everything I got clear instructions about what was coming and when and if I remember correctly you can call them the day before to get a better estimate of the time they delivery.

Kitchen looks and works fantastically well.

Only problem was a complaint from the guys fitting it. They said that none of the units have service hatches at the back so everything that needs to go through the back section has to be cut in. I don't think it was a big problem though.

As someone else said I actually went to MFI and got them to give me a lovely 3D picture of the layout which helped me make sure I ordered all the right bits from Ikea. Ikea was also cheaper then MFI.

My neighbours son works for a expensice kitchen company and when wanted to replace his kitchen he actually chose and Ikea one - says something!

I have recently finished installing my MFI kitchen (started in May) items damaged/missing whilst it delayed the install process the items were replaced without hastle (forgeting the delay). The items I had remaining were collected I then went back to MFI for the refund. As far as the design I designed it they just do the cabinet/appliance layout. I think if you went to them with a clean sheet of paper they would do whatever is the easy thing to do, although I would have thought that they would be supplied with ergonomics of kitchen design.
But I am pleased with the product/price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back