MFT 1552, IR Error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,
Having a problem with multi-func. all other testing seems to work fine but when I come the IR test it's playing up on all three settings.

The Megger was working fine yesterday, well I assumed it was!
But this morning IR test, keeps coming up with Attention symbol and the number 500 flashes up for a couple seconds then goes off.
Checked batts and fuse, anyone have any ideas or does anyone know the reason why?
Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
trying to megger a live circuit maybe?
I worked on two different jobs yesterday, one was repairing some damaged cable on some vibration motors that was all dead work and the other was a prat of a job that never got powered up and all seemed fine with the IR testing.
So I'm puzzled to what has happend since. :(

Sponsored Links
what I'm saying is, is the circuit you're trying to test now live? could be some coupled volts on it and the meter is reading them and thinking it's live?

what I'm saying is, is the circuit you're trying to test now live? could be some coupled volts on it and the meter is reading them and thinking it's live?
No what happened,
Today a local wholesalers was doing on-site calibration, at half price. So never to miss a bargin! and the cert on this meter was nearly up and I'd have back within the hour. I dropped it off at the shop. He said could have back within ten mins if I was willing to wait. Which I was.
The guy doing the calibrating asked if I had have had any probs with IR test. Which I hadn't.
He informed me that it had passed 44 of the calibration test prior IR then this error appeared, so the meter failed to be calibrated and now I don't want to risk other test measurement, in case the readings are false.
I have emailed Megger with the problem.
It was working fine last night, but not now!

sounds like the calibrator bloke broke it.
I did think that, but surely he'd have stuck his hand in the air!
Anyway it's stuffed me, I do have Robin Cont & IR tester but the megger does the lot and now I don't trust it.
Was hoping for some enlightenment what the error is, rather than accusing anyone. :mad:

How old is it... I think Megger have a 3 year all inclusive guarantee, which is very good

The first 6 digits of the serial no. Are the manufacturing date eg. mine is 040904/4466 so 4th sept 2004....

Give them a ring..

How old is it... I think Megger have a 3 year all inclusive guarantee, which is very good

The first 6 digits of the serial no. Are the manufacturing date eg. mine is 040904/4466 so 4th sept 2004....

Give them a ring..
They do, do a three year warranty/guarantee :D
I've been in touch with them, waiting for an authoristion number so I can send it back to them. It's only a couple of years old so warranty should still be inforce. :D

so wait..
it was working fine, you took it for calibration and the guy came back with it and said it failed, stating about the 500V warning and you havent used it since?
sounds to me like the calibration bloke forgot to switch something off before he tried to tast the IR bit..
the manual says it comes up with that if you try using it on a live circuit with more than 500V on it..

so wait..
it was working fine, you took it for calibration and the guy came back with it and said it failed, stating about the 500V warning and you havent used it since?
sounds to me like the calibration bloke forgot to switch something off before he tried to tast the IR bit..
the manual says it comes up with that if you try using it on a live circuit with more than 500V on it..

It comes up with 500 with Megaomhs Symbol in bottom left, he tested about ten times infront of me. It also flashed up batt, but the bats were new and tried three different new sets from shop.
It flashes up for about two seconds, when I got back to work got the meter back shorted it straight across probes and clear of probes and still came up with same 500 but with no batt on display!
He did say some of the tests used on the calibration instrument were automatic and some were manual, I understood this was a manual test.
I don't know where I stand as far blaming, but you'd think the fella would know what he was doing?

Not all Megger instruments come with a 3 Year warrenty. It depends on where you buy it from. If it is a recognised dealer (most of the UK wholsalers are) then yes you will get 3 years. If you buy from a lot of the company's on the net, you will only get the minimum 1 year.

keeps coming up with Attention symbol and the number 500 flashes up for a couple seconds then goes off.

The symbol is telling you that "There is a maximum nominal system voltage >500 V" This is probably caused by a fried resistor in the instrument and was probably caused by an incorrect resistance applied to the instrument i.e machine was set to 500V and a resistance of 100Ohms at 100V applied. Many of the older calibration machines require the operator to manually input the applied resistance and turn the knob on the machine to the correct range. Megger will be able to tell you if that is the case.

He informed me that it had passed 44 of the calibration test prior IR then this error appeared

The total number of tests applied to a MFT 1552 is 31-35 depending on the operator. I cant understand where he got 44 from and still had several to go.

but you'd think the fella would know what he was doing?

Stop, please stop it is starting to hurt, i have laughed so much.

Bottom line, get it back to Megger and they will send you a report and then you will know what direction to go in.

Thanks for reply Meterman,
Some interesting comments.
I'm now starting to think a mister-meaner has taken place. :mad:

I contacted Megger give serial No and warranty ref no which complies to both meter and warranty.
Megger implied it was still covered as Meter is only two years old and it did come with a three year warranty, so I think I should be okay with that. :)

As far as calibration of the meter, The man clearly said it's passed all test prior and this was the 44the test of about 50 test.
So that's got me pondering :confused:

Will have to see what the megger man says :(/ :)

I wouldn't worry about it, Megger are great..

My 1502 bust, I sent it back (I had to pay outgoing postage) and got it back within 14 days in the ABS case with new batteries and leads... look as good as new :cool: :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back