MICC Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A'noon all..

Im enrolled onto a C & G 2330 level 2 and Im told that I will be using MICC cable to put together a 2 way lighting circuit.

Im going to buy a metres worth of cable to practice with i.e. termination of the cable, glands etc and was just after confirmation of the correct size/type. Im thinkling 1.5mm2 4 core. Is this correct.

Thx in advance

Thomo

Sponsored Links
3 core will do as the copper sheath acts as the earth..

also 2, 3 and 4 core are all the same size, it's just the little black wire spacers / seals that are different..

the tools cost a fair bit too so unless you're planning on going into fire alarm installation then i'd stick with practicing at college..

ColJack said:
also 2, 3 and 4 core are all the same size, it's just the little black wire spacers / seals that are different..

Are you sure?? Well, I never knew that. Thought the pots and glands are labelled as to what they are suitable for i.e. 2L1.5 is 2 core 1mm light duty, 3L1.5 will be 3 core 1mm light duty and so on.

a metre of pyro will not be enough, its a knack you learn then forget as you havent touched it for so long

Sponsored Links
ok, my mistake... i thought that the MICC outer sheath was the same diameter for 2, 3 and 4 core.. turns out that it's not.. it's only marginally different though so to my untrained eye they looked the same..

Not sure a wholesaler is going to sell you a meter either! They do not generally like to split drums at all! Cut lengths of odd sizes are ordered in, again, they aint gonna order you a meter!

They will also likely want to sell the pots/seals etc in pks of ten if they don't deal with the stuff often.

I've done the MICC this year, believe me the advice you've been given is sound.

1m you won't buy!

It is a bitch to work with first time!!

The tools are REALLY pricy

I would have thought that 3L1.5 would be the cable for this.

Are you absolutely certain it is a 2 Way switched affair.

My effort was 1g switch and bulk head.

Best of luck, compound from one side, pot level with copper end watch out for nicks TAKE YOUR TIME, this is aesthetics at least as much as technical know how. Buff the copper sheath with wire wool just to show off!!

Thomo
Order your pots and glands from City Electrical factors.
I phoned up my local branch in Bournemouth and they had some glands and pots in.
I had an old sparky friend of mine lend me some old cable 2 core 1.5.
I have my assessment (OLCI) this Saturday and i hope i will not have any MICC. I am fine with everything else.

What is the problem with terminating MICC? How are you being taught to do it? I was taught to start by firstly installing the gland+shroud. Score around the pyro where you want the end stripped back to with a pipe cutter (don't get too carried away though, a light score only.) Set the end off with a pair of side cutters and then attach a T bar. Peel the copper back in a circular motion keeping the strip of copper around the bar tight and the bar at about 45 degrees. When the copper gets to the score mark it should peel off round. Install the pot using the tool, (might be a good idea now to give it an IR test, remembering safety first). Fill the pot with the compound and install the seal. Crimp the seal over using the correct tool.

for safety, use rubber gloves if they have old compound or you are unsure of what they have.. the old stuff was found to be carcinogenic... :eek:

wash hands thoroughly after use before eating..

try not to scratch or rub your eyes before washing hands.. :cool:

ColJack said:
for safety, use rubber gloves if they have old compound or you are unsure of what they have.. the old stuff was found to be carcinogenic... :eek:

wash hands thoroughly after use before eating..

try not to scratch or rub your eyes before washing hands.. :cool:

Always taught to fill pot using compount with easier clean gloves, or use the paper wrapping of the small sections of compoud to make sure you do not touch the compount - dont want grease/foreign bodies etc in the compound.

I would hope that any compound sold recently or on college/test station shelves would not be harmful...........

Yeah, I use the backing paper to push the compound into the pot. Seems to be the best way to me.

you'd think they'd have some sort or 2 part epoxy resin in a syringe type arangement nowadays.. ( something like the araldite syringes you can get.. )

Dont be tempted to blow into the pot, turn it over a tap it lightly to clear excess mineral dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back