MICC / Pyro

T

toasty

What with all this talk of MICC/Pyro recently, I decided to treat myself to some. Should make for some decent projects.

I managed to get 100m of 3L1.5 orange coated off eBay for £120 delivered.

That's got to be a good price right? (please tell me it is!)

I've also bought the stripper tool (joistripper?) a pot crimper and the Tbar tool for screwing the pots on. Obviously got some pots, glands, clips etc.. too.

Pretty exciting stuff, just need to find a use for it now! :LOL:

I'll post pictures of my first attempts at terminating the stuff, I'm sure that'll be a laugh!

Sponsored Links
I remember RF Lighting replying to a post some time ago, with a really could slide on this, maybe someone can remember it also and find the post or RF might be able to re post it, if he's about?

Here is that post;
RF Lighting's guide to terminating MICC cable.

You will need:

micc1.jpg

From left to right: Pot (this one has an earth tail), pot seal, gland, potting compound, joistripper, pot crimper, stub sleeving, pliers.

Step 1:

micc2.jpg

Cut the cable off square. This can be done with a junior hacksaw, a ringing tool or sharp cable shears.

If the MICC is old, cut 100mm - 200mm off the end. The magnesium oxide is hygroscopic, and will have absorbed moisture.

You will not be able to get a joistripper started if the cable has been cut with sidecutters or pliers.

Step 2:

micc3.jpg

Start to strip the cable by turning the joistripper clockwise down the cable.

Step 3:

micc4.jpg

When you have stripped the cable to the desired length, lightly grip the cable with your pliers. Run the joistripper upto the pliers. This will give you a nice clean square cut.

micc5.jpg

Step 4:

micc6.jpg

Put the gland top, olive and gland bottom onto the cable. Do not tighten it up yet.

Step 5:

micc7.jpg

Screw the pot onto the cable until the sheath of the cable is flush with the bottom of the pot.

Be very careful not to twist the cable whilst screwing the pot on.

Then pull the wires slightly apart, and test the wire ends for shorts with an insulation tester.

Step 6:

micc8.jpg

Slightly over-fill the pot with potting compound. You should work it in a bit at a time from either side of the pot.

Use the backing paper from the compound to push it into place, being careful not to touch the compound, as this could contaminate it with grease / dirt, which could cause the pot to not properly insulate the end.

Step 7:

micc9.jpg

Slide the pot seal into place, making sure the wires are not twisted.

Step 8:

micc10.jpg

Insert the pot assembly into your pot crimper, making sure the three prongs on the crimper are between where the wires come through the seal.

Step 9:

micc11.jpg

Crimp the pot.

micc12.jpg

You can see in the second picture what I mean about lining the prongs up on the crimper between where the wires come through the seal.

Step 10:

micc13.jpg

Sleeve the wires with stub sleeving, and then carry out another insulation test to ensure the cable is fault free. You will then need to carry out a continuity test to give the cable it's polarity.

Step 11:

micc14.jpg

Slide the gland into place. You would normally tighten this up once the gland has been screwed into whatever the cable is being terminated into.

Step 12:

Go wash your hands. Magnesium oxide is poisonous, and must not be ingested.

:D

and this is the whole thread;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=196235&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Sponsored Links
That's the one!
In fact it was this thread that I was reading the other day that made me decide to get some pyro.

Thanks RF!

You can also get a potting tool for screwing the pots on, think RF just used pliers.
It is probably in the other thread as well that you should fill the compound from one side only.

Nice!
Yep, I ordered the potting tool, probably a luxury item, but should make for a nicer finish.

Thanks all for the advice. :)

Did some pyro a couple of weeks ago to replace the supply to wall mounted lanterns on a public building. Was the first time in ages i had used Pyro cable.

You can also get a potting tool for screwing the pots on, think RF just used pliers.

Since writing that guide, I've bought my self a pot wrench.

I say bought. I'm from Yorkshire.

I headed into my workshop with a 20mm coupler, a couple of M6 bolts and a heavy M10 washer :LOL:

DSCN0554.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back