MICC / Pyro

Exactly why does it make any difference whether the compound is filled from one or both sides? As long as it is properly compressed and there are no air gaps, there isn't a problem.

It is deemed better practice method to fill the compound from one side to ensure there is no air trap. Otherwise how would you know?

Sponsored Links
Exactly why does it make any difference whether the compound is filled from one or both sides? As long as it is properly compressed and there are no air gaps, there isn't a problem.

It is deemed better practice method to fill the compound from one side to ensure there is no air trap. Otherwise how would you know?

I don't work with pyro day-in day-out, so I'm sure there are people here far more qualified than me to make these statements. However, in my honest opinion, it sounds like a load of old twaddle. I can't possibly imagine how you're going to get an air gap, unless of course you're not packing the pot tightly enough.

£120 on ebay :eek:
I scrapped loads of cable last year, just kept some.
I have 100m of orange 2 core, not sure if 1.5 or 2.5 still in the garage.

I don't work with pyro day-in day-out, so I'm sure there are people here far more qualified than me to make these statements.

From BICC Pyrotenax :)

Sponsored Links
I managed to get 100m of 3L1.5 orange coated off eBay for £120 delivered.

That's got to be a good price right? (please tell me it is!)
I think it was, from what I've seen.

[smug]I did better though.[/smug]

[karma]Always assuming I start to get good IR figures.... :confused: [/karma]

I'll post pictures of my first attempts at terminating the stuff, I'm sure that'll be a laugh!
Come on then....

Tip - Throw the 'joistripper' in the bin and get a ringing tool.
Do you mean one of these:

!CBkEF6wBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!hoEzeOOJuyOBNIONJ14dw~~_12.JPG

or one of these:

$(KGrHqYOKi!E4YU8)(G(BOGg3O54Hw~~0_3.JPG

What are the merits/drawbacks of the 3 types of tool?

I think it's purely down to personal choice.

I was taught pyro using a joistripper, and that's still my preferred way of doing it now.

You top pic is what I know to be a ringing tool, but it's not something i personally use.

The top ones a ringing tool

2 and 3 are strippers similar to the joi stripper except you hook the copper round the L shaped hook this peels it as you turn.
They are less likely to bind than the joistrippers.
I use that bigger one on all sizes though its designed for larger sizes realy, the v block is reversible for that purpose.

By holding the pyro with pliers you let the stripper butt up and this then rings offf the sheaving leaving a clean edge.
No need for the ringing tool realy, that is old hat for the days of the bar with the slot in the end.
Although still an acceptable way to do it

Eeeh, all this MICC talk takes me way back to 1988 when I did a load at a new build in UMIST.

that does bring back memories!!

you either like Pyro or hate it, me i love it!!

had got the potting off to 8 minutes start to finish at one stage, but we were doing 100+ perday on one job.

just come back from a fire ssytem fitted with imperial Pyro, FP 200 and T/E!
the whole ssytem is being removed, re wired and replaced with FP200 Gold! should take us about 6 weeks to complete the system, (90 + detectors, 16 zone Sav Wire + beams and all the other kit!) start it monday morning!!

Oasis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back