Micra K11 fault codes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My wife's P reg 1.0 Micra went wrong today. It cut out and then started running like a "Sherman Tank" to quote herself. I went and started it this evening and it works fine. I was wondering whether it was the school run that did it, about 10 minutes each way.

It has a code plug but won't hook up to my code reader. However I read on the net that you can short out pins 6 and 7 in this plug and the management light will flash a code at you. But, the plug has 14 pins arranged in 2 rows of 7 and with no indication as to which is pin 1. There are wires in one row in pins 1,2 and 6,7 and in the top row in 1,2 or maybe 6,7 depending on which and you count from and which row is first. If I get the wrong ones I could damage the ECU. Anyone any ideas?

The site I got the info from http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/How-to-re...our-Nissan-1994-on_W0QQugidZ10000000002350833 doesn't show the picture of the plug so I can't tell.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Malc, I'm sorry I can't help you with the extraction of the fault codes, but nearly all engine problems with the K11 are related to the throttle body - these include hopeless idle, cutting out at speed and other nasties.
The good news is that BBA- Reman (01634 230055) can supply you with a replacement throttle body for you to test before you buy.....the issues are so common.
It may be worth a peek at their website, under common failures.
John :)

I managed to get a fault code out of it. It's the lower two pins on the left for future info. Bu the code I got, 143, doesn't seem to be listed on the websites I went to.

Thanks John I'll look at that website. We bought the car for £450 about 2or so years ago so wether it's worth doing more than a couple of hundred pounds worth is debatable.

Sponsored Links
Scrap it and get paid whilst you can. Micra s :oops:

Thanks for that useful bit of info.

A further dig aroundon the interwibble produces two possibilities. Either an immobiliser fault (which is the standard cause of 143) or possibly a problem with the fuel injection fuse. As that secind solution fitted the symptoms I've just pulled out the fuse (which lives in a fuse box immediately behind the radiator) and found that it's quite corroded. I've cleaned it up with some sandpaper and I'll give it a proper clean tomorrow when I can pinch some switch cleaner and an fibreglass pencil.

Another issue is corrosion on the fuel pump relay terminals.
At the side of the battery is a rectangular cover, running front to back.
There are 4 relays underneath, (I think) and the fuel pump one is second from the back. The relays are blue, and are the same type.
I've never had this one fail when the car was going, only on start up when you can't hear the pump whirring.
John :)

I'll check that this weekend (along with everything else I have to do <sigh>). I must admit that everytime I google for code 143 I see a different result. That's the only link I've seen that says throttle body sensor although I'm not discounting it. Time for a good search around the engine bay methinks.

Thanks everyone.

Did the older codes have the 2 letters at the beginning, I'm not sure?
I think the P0 bit came later with EOBD2, though I might be wrong?

The flashing engine management light can't flash P [1] so I don't know whether the older codes would have P0 at the front.

[1] I expect the could flash the ASCII code but that might be confusing

Sponsored Links
Back