Microbore central heating - replace rad with towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've seen from other topics that it is possible to replace a rad with a heated towel rail. I believe that I will have to modify existing 10mm pipes to connect with (half inch) towel rail inputs/outputs, but would really like to connect via existing (Yorkshire Imperial) valve to avoid having to drain the whole central heating system. Does anyone know if this is possible, and how?

If I can't do this without draining the system, can the central heating system usually be drained in isolation to the hot water heating system? I cannot easily identify where to turn off the water supply to rads only.

I'd appreciate any comments on this...Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could remove the tails from your existing rad, clean them up and fit them to your towel rad with a little ptfe. This would ensure they will fit your existing valves. A problem you will have though is finding a towel rad that will replace your existing rad without altering any pipework so you will probably have to drain the system anyway.

The hot water from your taps and the hot water in your radiators are seperate systems. Draining your heating system won't effect your hot water

Draining your heating system won't effect your hot water

.. unless you have a combi?? IN which case boiler off => cold hot water!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back