Microbore, Manifolds & Madness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's, I have a solid fuel heating system fitted probably 20 years old, it is powered by a Parkray Chiltern solid fuel fire which feeds into a microbore heating system. I am moving a downstairs radiator across the room and need to pull back through the microbore pipe, extend it and feed back down to it's old position. Can anyone help ? What I am trying to find out is the following;

Can I join microbore pipe without any problems as I do not want to disturb the manifold which is situated upstairs between the ceiling/floor void.

Is there any procedure that I need to follow when draining and re-connecting and pulling the pipe back through or can I simply cut it and join the new section of pipe to the new radiator location as it is only this one downstairs radiators that I need to move.

The other problem I have which covers the madness part of the header is that as the system is pumped microbore I can never turn off the pump whilst the fire is on otherwise is boils within minutes of the pump going off, should this have been grayity fed ½inch system, madness or what ?

Thank's fellas.

Sponsored Links
No it should have an 1" (28mm) gravity primary circuit for the hot water cylinder, a heat sink radiator, and a cold feed and open vent.

you need a pipe stat so as to disperse the heat once hot water is up to temp. also as said, you should have a heatleak rad, normally bathroom.circs should be 28mm but will work o.k with 22mm.

doitall said:
No it should have an 1" (28mm) gravity primary circuit for the hot water cylinder, a heat sink radiator, and a cold feed and open vent.
just like the one I did for my old dad in `74.......and filled with fernox .........25 years later he moved out and the pump was still original.....I`m one in a thousand because the other 999 systems are lash ups :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
roccodelucca said:
Can I join microbore pipe without any problems as I do not want to disturb the manifold which is situated upstairs between the ceiling/floor void.

Is there any procedure that I need to follow when draining and re-connecting and pulling the pipe back through or can I simply cut it and join the new section of pipe to the new radiator location as it is only this one downstairs radiators that I need to move.

Thanks for the reply but it is a solid fuel system, ie coke & coal.

Anyone have any idea about the above ???

We know that :eek:

Perhaps you should tell us about the rest of the system first.

The boiler shouldn't boil when the pump is off.

How save is the boiler should be the question.

doitall said:
We know that :eek:

Perhaps you should tell us about the rest of the system first.

How save is the boiler should be the question.

Hmmm', not only boils, bumps, bangs and is a bit of a worry so a close eye is kept on it.
I recon' not too safe, if the electric goes off, we gotta' problem, have to kill the fire ASAP or you can guess the consequences. we inherited the system and cannot afford to replace it right now.
It would mean major work to the system to update it. So right now I have to make do with moving the rad', microbore with this system in my opinion is lunacy "pumped microbore with solid fuel " I would not have thought that this is a good combination but there ain't much I can do about it now.

The information that I am trying to find is if it is OK to join microbore pipe with compression fittings or how to join it safely ?

Thank's.

it can be joined with compression fittings. altho if you move it far away youll get less flow rate so it might not get as hot and take longer to heat up

no reason why you can`t convert the pipes to the moved rad from micro to 15mm...you can get 8/10mmx15 comp. reducers..

simon_d said:
it can be joined with compression fittings. altho if you move it far away youll get less flow rate so it might not get as hot and take longer to heat up

Thank you Simon, that is the information I was after, really appreciate that.

Nige F said:
no reason why you can`t convert the pipes to the moved rad from micro to 15mm...you can get 8/10mmx15 comp. reducers..

Thanks Nige, the distance is not a lot futher than the current postition perhaps 5 - 6 metres further, how would the manifold cope with the change from microbore to 15 mm would that not create a problem ?

Sorry roccodelucca.

it's my opinion that you shouldn't put the boiler back into service until you get the system sorted properly.

knowing it's dangerous and not doing anything about it, is a criminal offence.

doitall said:
Sorry roccodelucca.

it's my opinion that you shouldn't put the boiler back into service until you get the system sorted properly.

knowing it's dangerous and not doing anything about it, is a criminal offence.

I agree it would be ideal to change the system to a gravity fed system on 15mm fittings but as previously mentioned I cannot afford it at the moment.

IT IS NOT A GAS BOILER therefore your comments are incorrect.
Not sweeping your chimney is dangerous nor is that a criminal offence.

The question was can I join microbore with a compression fitting safely and Nige and Simon have cleared that one up, however I never said the system was dangerous in the first place but thank you anyway I do appreciate your comments.

roccodelucca said:
not only boils, bumps, bangs and is a bit of a worry so a close eye is kept on it.
I recon' not too safe, if the electric goes off, we gotta' problem, have to kill the fire ASAP or you can guess the consequences.
Rocco, doitall is right. It is clear from what you say above that you have an extremely dangerous system. It would be irresponsible for anyone knowing this to do or say anything that might encourage you to continue using it. You are putting the lives of those living in your house, and the house itself, at risk. Is it worth it?

Get a professional in who can advise you on the most cost-effective wayof making it safe to use. As doitall said, you need a large bore gravity circuit with a heat sink.

roccodelucca said:

Hmmm', not only boils, bumps, bangs and is a bit of a worry so a close eye is kept on it.

I really appreciate your replies, thank you, I may have misled you guy's a little :oops: , the only time when this happens is if the pump is turned off does that mean that an unpumped microbore system should not boil when the pump is off, bearing in mind this is a coal fire with a back boiler on a microbore system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back