microbore or 15mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering installing the radiators and pipework prior to a corgi fitter fitting a combi boiler. What is the best option microbore pipes or 15mm? I note that the heating packs sold by B&Q come with 15mm valves

Sponsored Links
Designing a central heating system is not a simple task, and requires a reasonable amount of knowledge. However for a domestic installation, there are many books available which will point you in the right direction. In very general terms, microbore is easier to install, as it is fairly flexible. 15 or 22 mm copper is not flexible, however it can be bent using springs or a tube bender. On the down side, microbore is far more susceptible to blockages from sediment in the system, and may be noiser as pumps need to work harder to overcome the additional pressure drop in microbore pipe. Higher fluid velocity also contributes to noise. I know many installers who would not touch microbore, but it is down to personal preference. In both cases, a well designed system, properly installed, should give years of reliable service.

having fitted combi boilers for 25 years i would recommend you use chrome 22mm pipe this gives you all the flow you need and looks really nice. i would not touch the B&Q kits if i was you iwould contact Blackwells heating and plumbing who will be able to supply and fit a new system at a very reasonable rate, i can give you nigels number if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back