Microbore Return Line Restriction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone out there can help me.
I have two radiators which were fitted in an extension on 8mm microbore pipe. They were never great at heating but since we changed the boiler they don't heat up at all. The original boiler was a gravity fed system but now it is pressurised.
I think I have isolated the problem to being some sort of restriction on the return flow, but I know the pipework is clear and flowing freely (I had the radiators off in case they had silted up).
The microbore is Tee'd off a 15mm line very close to the 22mm main pipe.
Is it possible that the pressure in the main return line is not allowing flow from the microbore into the main line and if so is there any way to fix it without ripping the floors up and increasing the pipe size?

Sponsored Links
Try shutting all the other rads down leaving just those two open see what happens.
The system may just need balancing.

Sponsored Links
Done as suggested and the two offending radiators do heat up - albeit slowly but that is probably due to the microbore.

I will try balancing the system as described on here, but that may take a while as it seems that it is actually set up as two separate loops and there are 19 radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back