midas B heat ex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a maintenance contract with British gas for about 15 years, and when I reported the "knocking" problem, they sent out an engineer who condemned the boiler, pointing to a faulty heat exchanger.

He then informed me that these units were no longer manufactured, and that it would be down to me to locate a replacement part (even though they have continued to take payments for my contract!).

I found a used one on ebay, but then found out that BG won't replace my heat exchanger with a used one.

I'm at the end of my tether trying to locate a new heat exchanger for my boiler, and would be most grateful if somebody could poit me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

MOD

split from hijacked post

Sponsored Links
instead of buying new heat ex, try putting some fernox boiler silencer into the system or sentinel x200 both will get rid of most noises within a heatexchanger

Apparently, the fins on the exchanger are badly corroded, and this is why they have insisted upon it being changed.

The main heat exchanger can be cleaned using a small brass wire brush and a hacksaw blade. Its a bit slow but if the fins are corroded you will soon find out. BG dont know there A### from there elbow and are always condemning boilers. The Myson Midas B is about 15plus years old and is probably getting towards the end of its life due to cost of spares. All myson spares are supplied by CURZON heating.

Sponsored Links
If he has said you need new heat exchanger for corrosion and not because it is just noisy AND if you find a new one from a parts supplier you will be able to claim the money back from BG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back