MIELE T494C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a newbie to the site and am hoping someone may be able to help, we have a Miele T494C dryer it was purchased second hand about 5 years ago, being pensioners a new one was out of the question so we went for the next best option , it has worked very well over the years until Thursday 26th when my wife started a fresh load and the electricity went off, we reset the switch on the fuseboard many times but it kept going off, since then I have phoned several local engineers who have conflicting reasons and widely different costs to rectify the problem, some of the reasons being relays, thermostats, motors and heaters. Does anyone out there have any idea what it may be. Forever in your debt, Thank You. :(

Sponsored Links
Does the machine have a spin only option, cool tumble or similar, this would eliminate the heating element if the dryer works without tripping the fuse board.

Thank you for reading our post, we do not think it has those functions but we are grateful for your very fast reply.

You have a '15 min cool air' function.

Do you empty the water container or is it connected to a sink or the waste via a pipe.

Presumably it has been in the same position since having it i.e using the same socket, you could eliminate a fault on the socket, house wiring and fuse box by plugging in something else that is a high wattage appliance such as a 3kw kettle, heater etc... if it still trips suspect theres a fault with house wiring etc...

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your reply, it shows how often I use it the other half confirms it does have that 15 minute cycle, she also empties the water. We have plugged a kettle into the socket we use for the dryer and the electricity did no go off. :confused: Many Thanks.

I think that was, did not trip electrics with kettle so sounds like house electrics are ok.

Try the 15 min no heat programme.

Wow it's like having your own personal engineer,the other half has just done the 15minute cycle and I am pleased to say the electricity stayed on.Many Thanks again. :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5n9t9Fd48

Ok, so this would indicate a fault with the heating circuit, most likely the element.

Are you able to remove the front panel? The clip shows whats removed though not in detail.

This check is by no means conclusive without fully establishing how its wired.

A good appliance engineer would/should be able to diagnose quickly and easily by removing the front panel and making simple tests. 1-2 hours work.

If you feel up to removing the panel and buying a £5 meter perhaps we can establish the exact fault. Visual inspection of the heating element might even suffice.

Thanks for your answer, I think I should be able to check so will go out in the morning to a Screwfix and purchase a meter, if I remove the lid will the door be held by screws down the left hand side? one other point where would the heater be located? It is looking more promising following your guidance many thanks. will take some pictures once inside.

I am not familiar with this specific machine so unable to give exact step by step instructions so most of the disassembly will be on your head. However I shall do my best to assist.

Take photos and make notes if necessary especially when disconnecting cables, will assist with re-assembly.
Keep screws etc.. in order, pay particular attention to different sizes,threads, lengths etc..

It should be plain sailing but just to be on the safe side taking a little longer to disassemble may make the difference as to whether it ever gets put back together or not.

The heater is most likely at the rear,(could it be accessible from the underneath?) most are accessible from the rear panel but not sure it is on yours and its a miele which I have no exp. with. Have a look at the rear panel and the underside, should be obvious if you can remove a plate to get to it.

Its likely the door comes off with the panel.

Before proceeding I would look up the prices of parts for a miele, a heating element came up at £200, not cheap by any standards but considering they are well built and to last its understandable.

A cheaper 2nd hand part might be available but probably hard to come by.

Of course it may also be something much simpler and cheaper.

I am very happy to assist if you wish to continue but do not wish to get your hopes to high as it may become uneconomical for you to repair.

1) you will at least most likely find the fault
2) be a good learning exercise
3) at little cost i.e no engineers fees

It would appear that the heating element is attached to the rear panel so should be easy to access without stripping down completely. Be sure to remove the plug from the mains.

http://elektrotanya.com/miele_dryer_t_494_c.zip/download.html

Service manual.
Scroll down 3/4 of the page, 'This file is downloadable free of charge', click on 'Get manual' when it appears, 30 secs or so.

The file needs to be unzipped and need adobe reader or similar to view.

It has some good exploded views and wiring schematics if you are able to follow any of it.
Think its in french unfortunately.

On Wednesday i managed to make a start on the dryer, eventually I got to the stage in the picture and over a cup of tea with the other half decided to call it a day, it would seem that the elements 3off are enclosed in a metal cylindrical part at the rear which can only be accessed once the drum and many other items are removed.With the heaters priced at £240 it becomes uneconomical so this weekend we shall be looking at buying a new one.Many many thanks for taking the time to help it is much appreciated. John. P.S. I thought I had uploaded some pictures, I created an album and clicked upload but they have vanished?

I am able to view your album.
It may be possible that the heater is fine.
I would continue to dismantle and clean as you go.

Once you have access to the heater you should see if its ok or not in most cases.

It could be something as simple as a faulty thermostat, if its looking particularly clogged with fluff etc... a good clean and replacing the stat might be all it needs.

Nothing to lose, surely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back