miele washing machine pump replacment

8 years is no age for a Miele washer. I have seen many 10 - 15 year old machines that ran like quality Swiss watches.
Wiring can get damaged & connector plugs can loosen, it does happen. Take the front off & see what you find. Did you try a pump cycle with the filter out to see if the impellor actually rotates?
Under the lid you should find a wiring diagram (all Miele machines are supplied with one). If you don't find any obvious fault on inspection use the wiring diagram to identify the pump wiring back to the pcb & check the cables for continuity. If you want to check for 230v at the pump on an empty cycle (with the front off) you will have to activate the door switch with a screwdriver. Be careful :eek: I don't think I have ever ran into a problem with a pump triac/relay on any Miele washer.

Sponsored Links
Aparently there may be a pressure switch which feeds motor and everything is sw neutral which is why I had a live supply to the motor. Think I will have to check it out again before we replace it! Yes I checked rotation with filter out. Will let you know what I find

Did I interpret correctly...you observed the pump running with the filter out on an empty cycle? Or have I misunderstood something?
Without a wiring diagram I can't confirm how things are hooked up. You will find one under the lid, Miele always put one there. You bought the machine so you own the drawing as well.....

No the impellor does not move period.
I hope to speak to a retired wm repair man who is willing to take a look, but aparently there may be a pressure switch which is stuck and can be reset, i think a tube which feeds down to the pump can block and cause the pump to not work but to get to it i have to get the top of which means removing the dryer sat on top ( also a miele so ways a bleedin ton) all in a tight utility room :(
The pipe has to be removed each end the top of which is out of sight.

Sponsored Links
From a fuzzy memory I believe the pressure switch may be integrated on the pcb on your machine (difficult to say 100% without drawings). When you get the top off look at the far right hand side of the console. If you see a small black hose going in there remove it & blown hard down the tube (or remove it completely & flush it out). I can't imagine the pressure switch being defective but the hose to it might be blocked. That's about the only other thing it could be.

There is a small pipe running up to the pcb but the other end runs to the drum not the pump assembly.
There is however a pipe going from the pump up to the dispenser draw, but I don't think there is any electronics involved.
Think I'm going to hedge my bets on the washinh machine man sorting this out.
Miele will refund the new pump.
Thanks again.

Just ha d guy look at machine, he was pretty clueless and said buy a new one.
We checked the pipe and he blew up to the pressure switch and he said it should click which it didnt.
Its a tiny switch and seems to small, looks more like a sensor.
I now have the electrical drawings as said were under lid.
Think we will have to call in a miele engineer

I hate to give up on things but unfortunately Miele is a club usually confined to Miele people...one of which I am not. The pressure hose from the pcb should run down to an air trap on the drum & this system monitors water level. The connection up to the dispenser drawer you mentioned is likely to end up at a bleed valve (which shouldn't affect pump function). If the wiring/connections are in order & the pressure system functions as it should then the most logical culprit (as I see it) would be the pcb. Which is a little strange as Miele electronics are usually very reliable.

We face a call out from miele of i think 90 but he may say the part is expensive, of course he could fix it quite inexpensively, so we shall prob call monday to see if we can spk to someone.
My gut now tells me its new machine time.
What make do recommend?
The guy last night said siemans as have 5 year gaurantee.
We need a reliable machine with 5 in the house and a large drum would be handy.

It would grieve me to throw away a Miele washer but it is your decision. When the initial fault occurred can you remember which lights on the display were flashing? It might help diagnosis.
What I would definitely do before throwing it in a skip is take the front off again & check the motor brushes. Worn brushes can cause all kinds of odd behavior. You will find a description of how to do this somewhere in this post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=232360&highlight=
Then re-check all the things I mentioned earlier.

It was the drain / inlet light that flashed and drew my attention to the fault, funnily enough right after i had just fixed the dishwasher (pulled slithers of glass out of the filter).
Replacing the brushes sounds like a right fiddle (not that ive ever done it or yet to read the link you have kindly provided).
I loath the thought of removing the front again, ordering parts, paying for parts, fitting parts, re fitting front and then sitting in anticipation in front of the machine praying to hear the pump make its noise and emptying the soapy water from the drum.

I can appreciate your loathing to dig any deeper. I was only throwing in my 2 cents in an effort to try & save you money (& the planet from needless waste). You will see from the volume of Miele issues raised on this forum that it is something of a minority affair. You could interpret that in two ways; A: Miele products are far too expensive for the average household...or B: They just don't break down as often as other makes. In retrospect it might be better to request advice based on symptoms rather than job description. Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back