Milwaukee vs makita

Similar to above.

With regards to manufacturer it is horses for courses.

We have a mixture of lots of different brands and all have their pro's and con's.

My first De-Walt cordless was a ni-cad and i wasn't impressed. Since then i have had Makita, Milwaukee and now i'm back onto De-Walt, but at the same time have progressed onto impact drivers and lith-ion batteries.

The best tools you will ever hold will be Hilti.

Sponsored Links
I heard milwaukee was aeg re badged and styled I never got on with them
AEG Winnenden (Germany) designed and manufactured the original Milwaukee cordless tools more than 25 years ago. They are still supposed to be designing Milwaukee stuff, although these days most of the manufacturing has gone to China. My understanding is that at the time AEG bought into Milwaukee (part share). Oddly enough some of the AEG tools were outsourced to other firms for production - Sparky still make and sell some of the older AEG designs in Eastern Europe

I thought they were the old Atlas Copco. :confused:
Atlas-Copco bought the power tool division of AEG out when the AEG "empire" was broken up in the 1990s (1992 in fact). In about 2004 they decided to get out of the power tool market to concentrate on pneumatic tools (having acquired Kango-Wolf and moved production to Germany first) and so sold out to TTI (Techtronic Industries), a Hong Kong-based company who already owned Ryobi and make Dirt Devil, Hoover and Vax vacuum cleaners amongst other things.

Since then almost all production has moved to mainland China. Some defunct Ryobe models (e.g. RE-601 1/2in router) have been resurrected to sell as AEGs (in that case replacing the Freud/Casals OF2000 router production of which has gone to Russia).

All-in-all that doesn't say a lot for potential quality IMHO and I know a few guys who've had issues getting warranty repairs done in a timely fashion on Milwaukee kit

I went for Makita LXT (18 volt lithium) BUT I also included an 18 volt SDS+ drill in my kit because I didn't see the point in b*gg*ring up a combi drill gearbox by drilling 7mm holes with iot all the time. To date (several years I've had no problems other than the periodic battery fail (and I get 2 years or more out of each battery which in medium/heavy trade use is OK IMHO)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back