Minerelle work tops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought and installed Minerelle worktops in my new kitchen. After 56 months they started cracking round the hob. The supplier was very good but could see no reason for this. The manufacturer told me I shouldn't have used a built in hob on thos surface.
The damage was repaired but the cracks have started appearing again.
Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a solid surface worktop, like Corrian / Surrell?

Did you use a drill/router bit to give the internal corners of the cut out a slight radius. If you just cut a rectangle with a saw you can get stress raisers and cracks can spread out from these.

Oldchippy, Minerelle is like a thin solid surface that comes ready bonded to a chipboard core.

Jason

Did you use a drill/router bit to give the internal corners of the cut out a slight radius. If you just cut a rectangle with a saw you can get stress raisers and cracks can spread out from these.

Oldchippy, Minerelle is like a thin solid surface that comes ready bonded to a chipboard core.

Jason

Hi Jason,
You've said what I was going to say :LOL:

I worked for a company who used to install Corrian and we had to go to their factory (in Leeds I believe) to train how to *work* it and install it. That's where we were told about using a router and never a jigsaw when cutting Corrian.
Dont know if Minerelle was around then! (It WAS a long time ago!)

Sponsored Links
I bought and installed Minerelle worktops in my new kitchen. After 56 months they started cracking round the hob. The supplier was very good but could see no reason for this. The manufacturer told me I shouldn't have used a built in hob on thos surface.
The damage was repaired but the cracks have started appearing again.
Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

we have installed minerelle had trouble too about 75% of the jobs have cracked on the joints and also cracks have appeared over the top too. give us a ring on 01922 415111 ask for john or paul

I think a lot depends on the way the cut out is made for the hob - as previous replies have suggested - a router is best to do this as it creates less stress on the solid surface.

There should be no problem with any hob - provided that it is installed correctly. The seals supplied with some hobs are made of a foam type material, which allows water to seep through to the core. Tip would be to ensure that the core is sealed as you would do with a sink, let the silicone set before applying the heat reflective seal.

A way to determine if water could be the causing the problem, would be to remove the hob and check the thickness of the worktop where the cracks are and compare with where they don't appear. Water will force the core to swell (therefore would be thicker) and could split the core (it is only chipboard), therefore

I have seen on the manufacturers data that some gas hobs allow wet heat to bear down on the solid surface - which will make it expand and contract, leaving it to potentially crack. If this is your problem, perhaps you could shield the area around the edge of the hob when cooking.

As for the repair - if the original issue is not dealt with - the repair will be of no use.

Thank you for your reply.

But we have to ask our selfs IF there is no problem with minerelle then why are there so many websites concerning it.

THE FACT IS THAT MACY PANELS HAVE ALWAYS GOT AN ANSWER.

I expect them to have the answers as they are the manufacturers

When i had problems in the early days - they helped me out a lot. They have made some changes - so clearly must be concerned themselves.

I've made mistakes and they have helped me out, so i've helped them sort some other peoples mistakes - but stopped doing that when they started their own service about 2 years ago. I think that they are a fair company to deal with.

I have recently fitted a kitchen with minerell worktops!

They look great every saturday morning but by the afternoon the shine has gone and they lookvery dull. I bought them from trade depot and they're kit doesn't come with any finishing cream. When i queried this they told me to buff the worktops with baby oil!
At first this worked a treat but as I said earlier a couple of hours later they lose their shine.
Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas how to solve this?
Thanks for your help

Trade Depot supply an installation kit (page 42 of their catalogue) which includes countertop magic, which is recomended for use to maintain and keep the look of the worktop.
Try the www.minerelle.com web site and look at the after care instructions - downloads will tell you how best to look after your worktops. in the FAQ's you'll get the contact number for Adcolim, where i get my accessories

Hi thanks for that,

I've tried the installation kit but it doesn't come with finishing cream, trade depot told me to use baby oil.
Minerelles website mention this finishing cream but trade depot don't do it, I'll contact Adcom and see what they say .

Minerelle - used to recomend the polishing cream (finessit) but changed it to just a buff up with Scotchbrite and countertop magic.
I think that this is OK for majority of colours but feel that you get a better result using the cream on darker colours. really depend on the colour as to whether you need it or not. Hope that helps

Again, Thanks,

I've got the nightsky black worktops. Minerelle are sending me the finishing cream so I'm going to start from scratch with the buffing process and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

I went for montana worktops and had nothing but trouble, from shade matching to little pin holes appearing when finished. I am a chippy and fitted them myself, went to their free fitting service, very easy to fit, the hard work is in the final finishing. Very disappointed, they agreed to replace the worktops the first time with no extra for fitting costs, more problems followed, they agreed to replace the worktops again with a small figure for re-fitting! Decided to bin the lot and look round for another worktop. All this over Xmas you can imagine what my wife thinks!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back