Mini downlighters in vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I'm looking for the smallest downlighters, either LED of other, i can get for a vaulted ceiling in a kithcen.

I have 12.5mm plasterboard a 25mm void with counterbattening before i reach the Kingspan insulation. Dont mind cutting the insulation a little as im over and above U-value.

The purpose of the small downlighters is to create a starlight look to the ceiling but im concerned as to how much light these things will give. I intend to enhance the ligthing over work surfaces with under cupboard lights and a main pendant type over the island.

Can anyone suggest what to use. Loads appear online but im concerned about quality and lamp life i.e. set of 10 lamps running from one tranny.

Help much appreaciated.

Cheers

Stanna

Sponsored Links
I have 12.5mm plasterboard a 25mm void with counterbattening before i reach the Kingspan insulation. Dont mind cutting the insulation a little as im over and above U-value.
You will (should) mind breaching any vapour barrier as you will (should) mind warm moist air from the kitchen getting into the cold space and condensing and rotting the roof timbers.

The purpose of the small downlighters is to create a starlight look to the ceiling but im concerned as to how much light these things will give.
Nothing useful at all - it'll all be decorative. OK - it might be enough to avoid tripping over the cat on a midnight fridge raid, but in terms of useful light for working in the kitchen it'll do SFA.

You'll need to ensure that your island and under-cupboard lighting will do the job on their own.

"Warm roof" refers to the space under the roof, i.e. the loft. By moving the insulation layer to the underside of the tiles instead of on top of the ceiling you increase the usable warm space in the house, and you avoid the condensation and heat loss problems of holes in the ceiling for recessed lighting.

Now - you don't have a flat ceiling with space above, its a vaulted one, so of course it will be a "warm roof" type of construction.

BUT

You cannot avoid the following obvious facts.
  • The air beneath the vaulted ceiling is warm.
  • The air above the roof tiles is cold.
  • Since roof tiles conduct heat, the inside surface of them is also cold.
Insulation separates the warm and cold spaces, and there will be a vapour control layer to stop moisture leaving the warm space. All a breathable membrane will do is to allow moisture to cross over to the underside of the cold roof tiles where it will condense.

Insulation-partial-fill.gif

insulation.gif

insulation_rafter_level.gif

warm_roof_eaves.gif

warm_roof_ridges.gif

If you breach the VCL you could well have problems.

Sponsored Links
IF you just want a starlight ceiling effect and you've got enough access to poke the fibres in the right place, these - http://www.starscape.co.uk/ - would do what you're looking for. Each lighted end just pokes through a small screwwdriver hole in the plaster, and uyou can seal round with silicon if you want to make sure it's moisture-proof.

PJ[/url]

Hmmm Cant see the point of a vapour control membrane when the space above the Kingspan is vented via membrane and soffit vents for the exact purpose of controlling condensation.

Have used this construction in many extensions where ridge height is restricted ie running under a 1st floor window.

The spec is from Kingspan and has passed scrutiny of a number of different building control depts who have never raised the issue of installing VCB.

More importantly I have never had any call backs to jobs on this issue.

Not saying your wrong but this seems a little OTT to me.

What i was after was something as small as possible with maximum light output which FO dont give.

Just wondered if anyone had come across a product that might do.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back