Mini Expansion Vessel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester combination boiler and I heard that I need a mini expansion vessel and I wondered if anyone knew why and what does it do?

I have a water meter if that matters.

Sponsored Links
you heard you need a mini exp. vessel?

wos someone talking about you and your boiler in another room
or something?

the exp. vessel takes the expanded central heating water into a vessel located at the back of your boiler.

hazard a guess that the pressure gauge on your boiler is going up to 3 bar,
prv lifting and you lose pressure, so you have to top up boiler pressure.

if you've got a water meter then it's a good idea to get a mini expansion vessel on the cold mains as without it you're more likely to get a leak on the cold in/hot water circuit due to water hammer. if you didn't have a water meter you probably wouldn't need one.

if you've got a water meter then it's a good idea to get a mini expansion vessel on the cold mains as without it you're more likely to get a leak on the cold in/hot water circuit due to water hammer. if you didn't have a water meter you probably wouldn't need one.

:rolleyes: what can i say

don't even think of it ;)

Sponsored Links
you heard you need a mini exp. vessel?

wos someone talking about you and your boiler in another room
or something?

the exp. vessel takes the expanded central heating water into a vessel located at the back of your boiler.

hazard a guess that the pressure gauge on your boiler is going up to 3 bar,
prv lifting and you lose pressure, so you have to top up boiler pressure.

Nope, my pressure never goes above 1.5 bar and hardly ever drops either.

Never had any problems which is why I don't understand why I was told I should get one.

Never had a problem in almost 20 years with a water meter and no mini expansion vessel though?

You've already got one in your boiler- they will know this.
So why are they saying you need another?

P.S.
Save your money -find a good local RGI

You've already got one in your boiler- they will know this.
So why are they saying you need another?

P.S.
Save your money -find a good local RGI

No idea :confused:

Does the one in the boiler do a similar job as a mini expansion vessel?

That very same job

Thanks for letting me know.

I looked in the manual and it does indeed have a expansion vessel built into it.

I have no idea why he would want me to have a mini expansion vessel fitted. Very strange seeing he was a Worcester engineer.

Will definetly have to give them a call about this.

proberbly you need one for the dhw supply due to having a water meter its stated in the MIs.this is so WB cover themselves under warrentry when somthing goes on the boiler.

proberbly you need one for the dhw supply due to having a water meter its stated in the MIs.this is so WB cover themselves under warrentry when somthing goes on the boiler.

precisely, its in the MI's of certain WB's, dont remember it being mandatory though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back