Minimum width of access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, is there a general min. width between 2 properties to allow access through to a possible build plot.? If there is it'll save me an hour @ the Council to get the answer ( I don't do paperwork etc. very well ) The idea would be to go for outline pp for a bungalow in the garden behind my ( joined by 2 garages ) neighbour. Either by demolishing his garage alone or slicing off a metre or so of ours as well to get a way through. If there is a chance I will bite the bullet and go for outline pp. As usual, thanks . Ps. Woody's comments very welcome;)

Sponsored Links
It is all to do with fire enging access. It seems that as long as they can get within 45m of the back of your building you are ok:

As houses are usually classed as small buildings (that is, up to 2,000m2 floor area with a top storey less than 11m high), only access to within 45m of every point of the building, or to 15% of its perimeter, is needed.

A wide range of fire engines are in use throughout the UK. They vary in height, length and weight and, as such, require varying degrees of access. To ensure that these requirements are met, building control bodies and local fire safety authorities should be consulted early on when designing a new home to check that there are no restrictions to access.

So check with BC but if you are under 45m it might be OK.

Nige I take it you know you have to have a turning area so that cars can leave in forward gear down the passageway? ie you can't have the building right at the front of the plot.

Sponsored Links
I think most authorities ask for 3.2m for a drive for a one-off house – less if there is a separate footpath, but its not definitive, and could be thereabouts. A little wider for shared access to several properties.

They tend to be more concerned with the visibility splays and any gated entrance which are not negotiable. And possible turning space.

If the front door is more than 45m from the road then its 3.7m between kerbs for a fire engine – but curiously just 3.1m through a gate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back