Acceptable Service Access...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a block of about a dozen Housing Association Garages on one of my boundaries. My plot is large and obtaining the exact position of the boundary has proven very difficult, plus I don't think it's really necessary to be that granular. The HA don't really care much about it, which I understand, so I haven't flogged it hard with them.

It seems likely though that the Garages were built on the boundary. However, there is a fairly recent but tatty chain-link fence in place between us and the Garages that I would like to improve (it has broken barbed wire hanging off everywhere). It isn't clear who installed it, but it could have just as easily been the person that owned our house before me, it's a metre away from the Garages, which I think is excessive/unnecessary.

Without wanting any agro and with no more detailed knowledge, I feel I should leave an access corridor anyway. So, what would be an acceptable width to leave behind the Garages to the new fence to allow them access for repair in the unlikely event that they need it? Or am I being over-generous?

Sponsored Links
I'd leave none if it was on the boundary. You could always let them into your garden if they want to carry out repairs.

I'd leave none if it was on the boundary. You could always let them into your garden if they want to carry out repairs.

Good point.

Though, without the effort to prove whether it is or isn't, I'm thinking of preventing future complications. Is there an arbitrary width that's seen as acceptable for this purpose? 500mm? Less?

Sponsored Links
50mm should suffice.
a HA wont care about the back of some garages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back