Sunken Garden with Pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently replacing an existing single-storey extension with a two storey extension (marked in green) on my house, which is end-terraced on a corner plot. As such the plot is almost triangular in shape, with a much smaller back garden than front. The extension is going on the side of the house, and almost meets the boundary fence at the back corner (with a 1m gap for access) - see image below.
I have a passion for studio photography and would dearly love to have my own purpose built studio. Of course, the one thing a studio needs is a decent height, more than can be provided by my garage. I would have liked to build something the size and shape shown in the blue hatched area in the picture, but I'm relatively certain that planning wouldn't accept such a structure in my front garden - even though I was thinking of doing something "log-cabin-like". I think it would take me below the 66% unbuilt plot ratio.

As such, I was thinking of building a "sunken garden" by digging the blue hatched area in the sketch down by approx 1m with a blockwork retaining wall all around. If I then put a large pergola over the top (re-using the existing roofing joists I'm taking off my single-storey garage), that would give me much of the framework I need. Assuming this pergola is around 2m tall, that gives me 3m of height to play with.

A dozen or so larch lap panels hooked onto the uprights with gate hooks and I have the space I'm looking for... I think. Maybe at some stage, I could replace some of the panels with something a little more substantial and put some corrugated clear perspex on the top of the pergola.

What would the planning & building regs status be for something like this?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back