Double storey side extension- ambitious newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I am looking to step up from an apartment to a house and have put in an offer subject to structural survey on a corner plot detached house in harrow which has been on the market for a while.

I'm wondering how tough it would be to do a double storey side extension and loft conversion on this plot... Does it look feasible for such a plot?

In my simple mind the things I would like to do are as follows:

1. Side double storey extension
2. Loft conversion
3. Gut the place internally, new kitchens and bathrooms
4. At some point if possible turn the outbuilding currently at the end of the garden and have an entrance to the garage from the side road

Any thoughts, advice, comments etc for the uninitiated?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170902-064914.png
    Screenshot_20170902-064914.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 300
  • Screenshot_20170902-064948.png
    Screenshot_20170902-064948.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
What's feasible to is not the same as what's permitted under the local planning regulations - which you need to check first.

You also need to check for any specific constraints of conditions on the property, ( the deeds), and any restrictions by gas, electric and water companies.

If you are buying a house with specific alteration work in mind, then you need a surveyor who is able to comment on that, rather than a structural surveyor.

Look at what others have done in the surrounding area. If it's a busy road there will be an issue for a side extension and new access.

There's a good chance they'll ask you to set the upstairs in a metre from the boundary.
The info will be in the local plan and supplementary documents etc etc, but you can often get a chat with the planning officer for free and get a better opinion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback all... Much appreciated

2. & 3. are probably fine.

FWIW, my instinct is the LPA would resist both 1. & 4., but there's an outside chance that you might win 1. on appeal.

The areas where I work the planners hate 2 storey side extensions on corner plots like that, especially as the gap to the side looks very narrow so you would probably go very close to the side boundary.

I would hazard a guess that would be a non-starter.

Near us it seem the set back from the side and front is enforced but the second storey is allowed, see the ones I'm passing on the bus so sorry for the bad photos

Attachments

• 1504858487110-873997454.jpg
    1504858487110-873997454.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1504858526288-282205646.jpg
    1504858526288-282205646.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 220
Near us it seem the set back from the side and front is enforced but the second storey is allowed, see the ones I'm passing on the bus so sorry for the bad photos

eeew.

That's great planning for you - enforce a side set in which is pointless but "policy", and allow a hiddeous brick and general design that has no match or harmony with the building it's attached to.

That really enhances the street scene.

2. & 3. are probably fine.

FWIW, my instinct is the LPA would resist both 1. & 4., but there's an outside chance that you might win 1. on appeal.

Hi Nakajo
I have a feeling that this will be the case too.. if 4 fails I might have a single lengthways garage on the front ground floor part of the extension, and use the rest of the extension to expand the inside of the property

In urban settings you will be allowed a higher density, the OP's photo showed a detached house in a more suburban setting. The context is very important.

Still a big fat NO from me.

One option might be to speak to a local architectural designer, they should know the local planning policies etc. Most do a free initial consultation.

Helpfully, the streets around this site have been rendered in 3d in google, so it's very easy to see the kinds of extensions that have been allowed on corner properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back