Minor bedroom layout change

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Does this look like a sensible change to bedroom two, so a double bed can fit in? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

bsr

Bathroom_change.jpg

Sponsored Links
There might be a good amount of pipe that needs moving, to facilitate moving the door to the HWC.

Just a thought too, there might be a regulation to avoid having a door directly at the top of the stairs. That's a guess, a supposition, a worst case... someone else on here with broader knowledge of buildings regs might confirm.

Nozzle

Easiest has got to be to make the existing door open out, and keep the Jack and Jill bathroom.

There might be a good amount of pipe that needs moving, to facilitate moving the door to the HWC.

Just a thought too, there might be a regulation to avoid having a door directly at the top of the stairs. That's a guess, a supposition, a worst case... someone else on here with broader knowledge of buildings regs might confirm.

Nozzle

That actually would comply; where it wouldn't comply is if the new bedroom door opened outwards across the landing, as that would make
it dangerous for someone coming up to the top of the stairs should someone open the bedroom door to come out at the same time.

Sponsored Links
I think it looks good, giving you more useable space. Any chance of changing the heating system to do away with the HWC giving you more space?

Thanks all.

1. Moving the door for the airing cupboard wouldn't be difficult as there is no pipework on that wall, only a FCU for the immersion which I could move easily. The only challenge is that the tundish and PRV would not then be by the door so I would have to think about access. Maybe a removable panel (which would be hidden inside the wardrobe).

2. I'm not interested in getting rid of the cylinder, I have solar heating and two bathrooms.

3. Thank you for confirming it's OK to have the doorway at the top of the stairs (as long as it opens away from the stairs). I had been wondering about that.

4. We are undecided about keeping the Jack & Jill door to the bathroom - are they ever likely to come back into fashion? This one doesn't seem to have any advantage to us - it's a kids bedroom into the main bathroom. Otherwise we could make that bathroom an ensuite, but then there wouldn't be a bathroom which wasn't an ensuite, if that makes sense. There is a downstairs toilet. Any views on this?

You could also move the door to bed 1 outwards a bit with those changes and gain a bit of space from the landing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back