Minor PD definition clarification....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this site states that:

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

My house is on the corner or two roads. The front door is on road A but the address is actually road B (dont ask why - lost in the mists of time). My intended garage will go alongside road A but would be forward of the elevation on road A. You reckon it will fall foul of the above rule?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like A is the principle elevation. That's just my inexpert opinion, it'll be down to council interpretation.

Aye, you've hit upon one of the many, many grey areas of the latest PD rules. If/when you speak to the planners, the spotty duty officer will probably um and arr and then tell you to apply for a certificate of lawful development under the PD rules.

Thanks. As usual, I'll have to ring them anyway, but was just getting to grips with what to expect.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think it varies from local authority to local authority. Some consider the "principal elevation" as the elevation/wall with the main entrance door to the property and some may consider a corner plot to have two principle elevations as one will contain the main entrance door and the other will form an elevation/wall to a highway.

This is quite a good read...

http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/Appeal-Decision-10.html

The Inspector acknowledged that background documents suggest that a property can have more than one principal elevation, but noted that such documents do not have the weight of the final version of the GPDO. He concluded that the phrase ‘ a wall forming the principal elevation’ is singular, and therefore a property can only have one principal elevation. Furthermore, this phrase can only be applied to a single wall, meaning that 2 walls, even facing in the same direction, can not form a ‘principal elevation’.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back