Mira 415 Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used search, and hopefully I'm halfway to an answer :)

My parents have a mira 415, no idea of its age. They popped off to Spain for winter (benefits of being retired) and their new condenser boiler broke down (pipe outside frozen), which allowed the house to cool down, and freeze, which led, in turn to about 10 burst pipes and a lot of mess.

As I'm not a plumber, and finances are very, very tight, I've just finished getting the house dry, and the heating back on. Now the only issue if the shower. (and re-decorating :( )

It is a Mira 415, and seems to be constantly on, fairly low pressure coming out of the head, which does increase as I turn the dial to actually turn it on. I'm guessing I need a seal kit, is it a simple thing to change the seals? Does it all happen via the tap on the wall (and if so how do I disassemble) or is there another part, possibly underneath the bath (tiled bath panel :() that i need to do something to? I haven't bothered testing the temp of the water through the head, never crossed my mind until now that it might matter.

Or maybe I need the cartridge?

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
no answers, but follow up for anyone else with the same issue.
I replaced the cartridge, which stopped the permanently running problem, and then showed a new one, the shower now leaks from the "tap" when on. I figure this is probably the gasket, which looks perfext but at nearly 20 years old is probably worse for wear. Being a tight northerner I plan on using silicone to refit everything, as £15 for a big washer seems obscene to me.

Following advice on this and other threads for a leaking (early MK1) Mira 415 shower I have just replaced the (grey) cartridge. The shower is now working fine again with no leaks - thanks.
However, the shower was so old and probably hadn't been dismantled from new and I unfortunately damaged the now brittle central cap which covers the screws for the removal of the control knob. Searching I have found the Mira part is "Mira 415 control knob cover cap (107.27)" shown here
http://showerspares.com/search/mira_415_control_knob_cover_cap_107.27/
but the part is now listed as "Obsolete" and neither Mira nor any of the on-line suppliers I have found has one in stock.
Can anyone suggest another source (e.g. second-hand spares supplier) or if anyone is replacing an old Mira 415 and is willing to send on the plastic part please get in touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back