mira 88 manual mixer not giving out hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Please could you help me. I have a mira 88 shower mixer that does not give out hot water any more.

When you turn the water onto cold, it has full pressure cold, and when you slowly turn it to hot the pressure drops and is still cold, and if you turn it to full hot the water is cold but lower pressure. Any ideas?

FYI the hot basin tap is fine and piping hot next to the shower so I would have thought that the hot supply top the bathroom is fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check the filters are not blocked (if fitted) otherwise I would strip the Mira 88 down and check it as it is fairly simple to do.

Sponsored Links
There are no filters in the Mira 88 itself, so a good installation would fit them on the supplies going to it, it's why I said "if fitted".

With no filters in line I fear you will need to strip the valve down to find the obstruction. The only other place is in the hot water pipework, but I think that is unlikely.

both drawing and picture are the 88B, you can tell by the controls, the 88EV is the newer version right?

Thanks for the advice.

would it not be tricky to check the filters in the unions/inlet pipes (If there is any) as it looks like the elbows have been concreted in...(see above pic. What would you suggest?

both drawing and picture are the 88B, you can tell by the controls, the 88EV is the newer version right?

No look at your drawing carefully the EV is simply the Exposed Variable version so the whole valve sits on the wall not in it and uses a flexible hose to the shower head Otherwise they are the same valve. With the EV version you can easily get at the elbows going into the valve body, with yours the elbows or connections are buried.

The 88B comes in two flavours - One with rigid plumbing to a fixed shower
head and the other with a wall outlet to connect a flexible hose to.

would it not be tricky to check the filters in the unions/inlet pipes (If there is any) as it looks like the elbows have been concreted in...(see above pic. What would you suggest?
Forget what Gordon Gas said it was wrong, You don't have filters in the unions although many showers do.

If yours had any they would look like this
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...ession+Inline+Y+Filter+15mm/d20/sd2697/p52821

When I said fishing around in the elbows I meant getting a flexible wire into them to fish out any thing in there.

does the temperature knoblet move freely? I have known them seize or have restricted movement due to limescale. Dismantle, clean, descale, polish up, reassemble with silicon grease and PTFE on threaded connections worked for me.

Hi there
I am wondering can somebody give a little advice. Have this shower the mira 88 gem manual mixer shower with exposed valve or ev as its described. The on / of lever is getting stiff and dont want to let it go till its totally stuck. Have the manual but my question is can the temp control knob just pull off and start taking it apart from there. Prob needs replacement cartridge but need to know what strips off first. See plenty vids on other mira showers but none on this model. Anyone that can advise would be appreciated. Called the local mira shower servicing people and they said I need new shower as parts not available but I can see them on mira own website. Prob couldn't be bothered or want to flog a new shower.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back