Mira Advance Flex 8.7KW v 9.8KW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to put in an electric shower for my parents who are in their 80s, and the Mira Advance Flex looks a good option for us given the friendliness and clarity of the controls for my mum whose sight is going a bit, and she has arthritis in her hands - plus the max temp can be configured on these so it can never be too hot for them.

Both these showers have the same published flow rating of 4L/min but the difference in price is about £60. Just trying to understand given we might be limiting the temperature anyway, whether extra power is worth the extra cash - that's all. Our own is a power shower so I've no recent personal experience of electric ones to go on.

All the cabling is going to be new 10mm2 so that isn't a consideration.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I’d you’re not gaining anything, seems a waste imo

o I've no recent personal experience of electric ones to go on.
Electric showers are feeble - hence the 4 litres/minute flow rate.

A higher power will mean slightly more flow at any given temperature rise.
The difference between 8.7 and 9.8kW will be insignificant.

Unless you really need an electric shower because of no stored hot water and no combination boiler, don't bother with one.

Electric showers are feeble - hence the 4 litres/minute flow rate.

A higher power will mean slightly more flow at any given temperature rise.
The difference between 8.7 and 9.8kW will be insignificant.

Unless you really need an electric shower because of no stored hot water and no combination boiler, don't bother with one.

Thanks and I agree on the feeble from my perspective too (we're running a 2.0 bar Monsoon pump in our house which is about right for our taste) but the requirement here isn't that sort of shower.

Were making it suitable for carer assisted showering if needs be in the future - so there is a half height shower enclosure and seat going in too. i.e. a bit feeble is an acceptable trade off in this case to get a longer time spent showering (or being showered) in something more gentle without having to worry about emptying the small (compared to ours) hot water cylinder they have off a conventional boiler. 4L/min seems about average for thermostatic electric ones unless anyone knows differently.

Sponsored Links
4L/min seems about average for thermostatic electric ones unless anyone knows differently.
Flow rate is limited by the input power, the only way to get more flow is to increase the power or reduce the temperature of the water.

Increasing the power only goes so far, even with a 10.5kW shower you will only get about 5 litres/minute with a 30C temperature rise, which might get you 40C water out of it in the summer.

Go for a triton for a third the price, they do a 10,5 kw model which your 10mm cable should suit. Electric showers produce a decent flow and are cheaper than emptying your hot water tank from a power shower, and just as good IMO as a combi flow.

Electric showers produce a decent flow and are cheaper than emptying your hot water tank from a power shower, and just as good IMO as a combi flow.

Whilst I agree an electric does provide an decent/adequate flow, they do not compare to the luxury of the alternatives. If what you have in mind is to simply carry out the task of taking a shower, an electric one fulfils that need.

My take on it.
I am speaking in "Blanket Statements" so rule of thumb really.
However:-
traditionally the coice for most people is gas or electric to heat the water.
If you already have a boiler that will cope ( or intend getting one) with it then that is probably the best option.
If not then Electric instantaneous might be the answer. The flow rate/temperature is not as great as the gas one could be but is usually pretty acceptable for most people (depending upon wattage and perhaps water flow, you might need a tank for storage at a higher level or a water pump).
Some people have one run from the boiler for main use but also an electrical one for occaisional use (or to clean the dog after walkies, I`m not kidding!) etc etc. Anyway that could enable two people to use the shower at the same time which is somtimes helpfull.
Some people think having both makes you more relsiliant - Well Ok it can if your gas supply is off for a while but not so much if your electric is off because gas boilers generally rely on electric too for controls (You could have a UPS unit for the gas boiler though).
I am keeping it simple to Gas and/or Electric from a supplier, not renewables of some kind because that can complicate it further.

I don't get the luxury thing.

AFAIC we automatically install 10.5KW Triton shower in all our properties, including rental properties.

At home we run it on the low power position which I guess is aprox 7KW and only rarely on high if the incoming water is exceltionally cold. We find the flow to be adequate for a decent shower and often find the high pressures of hotels showers to be offensive and generous silly amounts of steam for loads of condensation over the whole room.

To OP: I stick with triton as they have a very good helpline, easy repairs and all parts available, even better is many of the spares are used across many of their products. An electric shower is an ideal product for your situation to reduce the splashing of the carer. Been there and have the soaked T-shirts. Almost instant, no need to mess amout balancing hot and cold. Once the flow is set it's left alone and switching on gives consistant results every time. Wastes less water and despite what people will state; my own running cost measurements are extremely close to using a combi boiler.

Indeed Sunray.
I find an 8.4KW and above to be acceptable to many folks for an ordinary shower.
Of course it varies a bit between people and situu but i`d not go less I think.
Indeed, long enough ago, around here, 6KW became common and the rise to 7.2KW seemed more like it, just when electric showers started to become a consideration.
Of course, those who are used to hotter showers and those with boilers running hotter showers with plenty more volume, might be quite dissapointed.

Horses, courses etc etc

Well with all the complaints about not being able to afford the rising costs, I'd have thought some would be looking at reducing the waste of metered water and energy costs.

Yes 6KW was the standard for a while, we fitted our first in mid 70's (all baths once a week whether we needed it or not.;) prior) and I think the replacement was same power. When we moved into current abode 1994 there was a 6KW Gainsborough which ran for several years, initially I fitted a 8.5KW Triton as it was on 4mm².

Go for a triton for a third the price, they do a 10,5 kw model
That isn't thermostatic, and like most of them has the risk of scalding if the flow is reduced.

The Mira is pretty much the only choice for situations where:
the max temp can be configured on these so it can never be too hot for them.

That isn't thermostatic, and like most of them has the risk of scalding if the flow is reduced.

Whilst not thermostatic, I understand they must be fitted with scalding protection, in the form of an over temperature cutout.

I personally, would not consider fitting one which was not thermostatic - set once and forget.

I ummed and ahhed about a shower when refurbing my bedroom and en-suite.

It had a Gainsborough 7.5kW leccy shower and I wondered about whether to swap for a thermostatic mixer.

Glad I did. Got a Mira Magniflo which gives a better flow rate at lower water pressures and it was the best decision I made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back