Mira / Thermostatic Cartridge Replacement / Limescale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a small stain appearing on the ceiling underneath an ensuite shower. I had a plumber in who resealed the tray, but the stain is growing slightly.

He told me the thermostatic cartridge is leaking ... it's about 1 drip every minute coming off the lower handle.

So I bought a cartridge, managed to find one for £10 which was cheap.

I am only reasonably competent diyer ... I am wondering if there will be any problems that i need to know ... or is straightforward.

Particularly if there is limescale in the socket for the cartridge ... the only thing I could do is to get toothbrush and brush it out maybe with some kettle descaler.

And I wouldn't know what to do if I put the Head Nut back on and water is dribbling out.

Perhaps I should just give it a go and if it doesn't work call a plumber.

?

Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Surely the drain would take care of any leak :confused:
However, replacing the cartridge is easy enough if you can get the handles off, and your method of cleaning out the housing would be fine if you find it necessary.
John :)

Isn't it possible that if the cartridge is dripping, that some of the dripping goes on between the wall and the tiles and onto the ceiling below.

If I can do the cartridge, I may try to regrout at the same time.

Not sure how to get that scale off the tiles effectively ???

I should do that before regrouting ?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get both levers off and the large escutcheon plate off, and then see if the leaky cartridge is allowing water to drip behind, I'm afraid!
Those tiles look pretty far gone, but try spraying them with Cillit Bang and then scrubbing with the rough side of a sponge wash up to see how it goes.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back