Miras 88 shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a miras 88 built in shower which has siezed I have read on this forum that it is possible to purchase a service kit for this shower,and that it would be as good as new when serviced.I believe the shower was 1st installed in 1986 when the house was built.Another question I have - can this shower be adapted for use with an electric pump to create a power shower.
If this is not possible,would an electric replacement shower be a better bet.

Sponsored Links
Getting on a bit, these but parts are available....
Have a look at the showerdoc website where there will be an exploded diagram. Its the centre concentric spindles that sieze up, making the pressure and temperature knobs impossible to turn.
Whether the system will be satisfactory at the end of the day depends on what provides the hot water, and at what pressure it is.
John :)

Thanks for your reply John.
The hot water is supplied by a Baxi solo boiler which was put in less than two years ago.
If I can get hold of the service kit is the shower going to be better than the sprinkle that you get with an electric shower :LOL: .I realise that neither has a pump and are dependent on gravity.The cold water tank is directly above the shower in the loft.
What do you think about what I said about adding an electric pump.
Jim

Jim, if your header tank is about 2 metres above the shower head then you should get a decent enough spray.....presumably the existing set up has worked before!
An alternative is to use a 'power shower' which in fact looks like an electric one, but its fed by gravity and has an integral pump - they work well.
Obviously a conventional shower pump would work too - if there's access and space for it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Try servicing it and cleaning the shower head before you do anything else.

you may find it difficult to take apart if it is badly scaled. It may help to take apart as much as you can and put it in a plastic tub with a household kettle descaler, hot, overnight. Descale each part as it comes off anyway, and polish off with a nylon pan-scourer. Use silicon grease on all moving parts as you reassemble (you may have to get it from a plumber's merchant)

Thanks for both replies.
I have ordered the service kit and a knob pack from miras,total £28.00.
In order to do the servicing I will obviously have to remove the unit from the wall after draining the system.
Not having seen the connection on the back can I assume it is a 15mm compression connection?.If so I can get two caps to use until serviced.
Is there any difficulty that I can expect in removing or taking apart?
I suppose scaling will be a problem as this is a hard water area. :(

No you don't need to remove the shower from the wall

Google the shower doctor and download the instructions or message me an email address.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back