Missing fingers incident.

When I was a young lad about 7 or 8 I had a nasty incident with a food liquidiser.

Being an inquisitive kind of boy I wondered whether you could stop the thing from spinning. Fortunately for me my mum had taken out the blade to wash but that didn't stop me from trying to stop the plastic cog that it sat on. Ouch.

Suffice to say you can't stop them from spinning - I've got a scar running all the way up the side of my middle and little finger of my left hand. I guess I'm lucky that the blade wasn't in it.

About the same age I managed to stick a garden fork all the way through my right foot near the toes. Doctor said I was lucky that I missed the bones and blood vessels. I didn't feel very lucky though!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Dellsmp said:
three vessels containg millions of gallons of nitric acid!

The physics department at my old uni extends 3 floors below street level... one day, a gas cylinder in a lab on the lowest basement leaked rather rapidly... I think it was argon. It displaced the air, and rendered the lower floors uninhabitable for a few days whilst the extractor fans did their thing and oxygen levels returned.

MT

You will probably find that it was HALON gas!!, as this actively EATS oxygen within the air , and evacuating the air alone will not have any effect until the saturation point of the amount of HALON is reached, hence the few days to sort out, extractors will not do much until the saturation point is reached due to the make up of the HALON!

TIMBAWOLF said:
You will probably find that it was HALON gas!!, as this actively EATS oxygen within the air...
Hmm, "eats Oxygen"!? I'd love to hear more detail about this.

Dont worry softus!

I think he is just a little confused about the Halon extinguishers used for automatic electronic installations.

The warning to lock them off when doing maintenance is because they extinguish fires by blanketing the enclosure with an inert gas.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I think he is just a little confused about the Halon extinguishers used for automatic electronic installations.

The warning to lock them off when doing maintenance is because they extinguish fires by blanketing the enclosure with an inert gas.

Tony

CO2 is much worse than halon (well, thats if it goes and your in the same room) for automatic fire systems went into a small room about 8 years ago that had a CO2 system. it had 10 CO2 bottles, about the same size as a 47KG propane tank.

also takin to someone a few weeks ago and CO2 came up. told me a story about 2 blokes workin for the same company. they were in a HV switchroom with CO2 and without warning, it released the gas. neither made it to the open door 3metre away... (they were found up against the panel they were workin at). nasty.

Were they frozen or suffocated?

Or both?

Mind you if an 11 KV oil breaker explodes then that can be pretty dangerous.

I once saw someone drill into a 415 v u/g cable under the pavement with a pnumatic drill. It produced something similar to an electric welding arc but about a metre high! He was VERY shocked but not obviously badly hurt but unable to speak or move until the ambulance came a few minutes later.

Tony

Agile said:
Were they frozen or suffocated?

Or both?

Mind you if an 11 KV oil breaker explodes then that can be pretty dangerous.

dont know, but id imagine both. apparantly it was 3 large bottles so they would have taken away a large amount of heat

Agile said:
I once saw someone drill into a 415 v u/g cable under the pavement with a pnumatic drill. It produced something similar to an electric welding arc but about a metre high! He was VERY shocked but not obviously badly hurt but unable to speak or move until the ambulance came a few minutes later.

Tony

could have been worse, could have been 11KV. mate of mine nearly went tru an 11KV a few weeks ago. was only 30CM under the soil! (electric board came and moved the cable the next day, was only a 4metre section that was close to surface)

There is a mine in the corsham / bath area which was used during WW2 as a arms factory. the HV switch rooms had a water sprinkler fire system intsalled. The kit was still in use untill about 15 years ago when the sprinklers went off. im gland i was not in that switch room at the time....

some quite nasty stories here I recon to have a bad one allthough I didnt witness it. It was my first night in spain in a bar with the wife and we got chatting to an irish couple in their 30s . After a while I notice some scarring on the chaps arm which looked like burn scarring. With that he removed his shirt and revealed his left side of his body wwhich looked like a horror movie. It looked like burn scarring, his entire side including an area from his hips to his shoulder and along his arm was a mis match of tangled skin and scars protruding here and there. I was sorry I asked and shocked.He explained that some years ago when he was a farm labourer he was driving a tractor and that he was detatching some equipment from the rear of the tractor when his coat became entangled in the splined drive shaft that prtrudes from the back to drive equipment. Eventually when the skin and flaesh had been removed by the shaft entangled with his coat , the blood lubricated the shaft and it started slipping otherwise it would have been curtains. shocker but he now runs several diggers and is doing fine.Fair play to him.

Pretty shocking was the bride who insisted going to her wedding on the back of a motorcycle.

The ambulance staff had some problem working out just what was what where her legs and wedding dress had been.

Ended up having to have both legs amputated !

They did get married again about a year later and she was either very short indeed or did not have proper length prosthetic legs.

Tony

Are all of these people stupid, or careless, or have I just been incredibly and unbelievably lucky?

I almost feel left out, not having severed any digit, limb or facial appendage while on any vehicle or into any machinery of any kind. I don't even know anyone who has. :(

The nearest I've even been to injury of this sort was not removing a chuck key and starting up the lathe. It whizzed past my left ear, through the false ceiling and embedded itself in the workshop wall. Having long since learned the art of avoiding things that are sharp, this incident taught me to keep well away from things that rotate very fast. Similarly, electricity. And guns. And deep water. And angry women. Oh, the pain...

Softus said:
I almost feel left out, not having severed any digit, limb or facial appendage while on any vehicle or into any machinery of any kind.

That would still leave another appendage which you might not be telling us about!

OK; for the sake of completeness, I have never, knowingly, not even once, on any occasion, allowed my penis to come anywhere even remotely close to anything hard, hot, sharp, moving, charged, astringent, or, just in case you were wondering, male.

I don't know exactly when I learned that this was important, but it was a very, VERY long time ago.

You are therefore missing a lot of enjoyment from "hot" places which move rythmically!

jeepmadmike said:
There is a mine in the corsham / bath area which was used during WW2 as a arms factory. the HV switch rooms had a water sprinkler fire system intsalled. The kit was still in use untill about 15 years ago when the sprinklers went off. im gland i was not in that switch room at the time....

Perhaps they should have used Scotch mist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back