Missing lintel above window - yet another thread!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Our windows were fitted five years ago and, like in many cases, clearly the old wooden frames were supporting the outer skin of the brickwork, and the fitters didn't address this. Luckily we have low eaves on the 1st floor so it's not a problem (no bricks above windows), and the back windows at the bottom have all been knocked through with various extensions, so my problem is limited to only two windows at the front of the house.

You can see the cracks opening up...

My plan is to use a couple of strongboys, pull out the soldier course and a couple of side bricks, install a galvanised angle iron (60mm x 60mm?) and then re-set the bricks. However, the bottom of the soldier course is a bit lower than the mortar course that I'd fit the angle to. Am I missing something here, or do I just need to bite the bullet and cut the bricks to suit the height of the angle iron, then fill-in the resulting gap over the window with one of those naff UPVC filler strips?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Is it a cavity wall? If it is not then you will have to "loose" the thickness of the angle upstand in the thickness of the bricks, you will need a small radius on the back bottom edge. The two bricks where the angle sits will also need fettling.
Which brings me to the point of why not use a ready made concrete lintel? They do look a bit grotty, I think I would cast up my own with nice curved bit sticking out and finished end. Use the bricks from the soldier course to make good the gap.
Frank

It's a 50mm cavity. I see what you mean re the concrete lintel but I think it'll stand out too much on the street.

I'll have a prod up under the Dpc this weekend to see how high up the window goes and how big the likely gap will be.

Depending on the span you can get a "L" shaped lintel to do the job rather than using plain angle or unsightly concrete
The end bricks will need cutting and one way to do that before you even remove the soldier course is to drill out the joints for the "bearer" brick so you can pull it out, then using a disc cutter (even a small angle grinder) cut the brick down so that when put back it is about a 1cm below the top of the window. This allows for packing and bed joint under the new lintel. It does not need to be a Catnic as there are others on the market.

http://catnic.com/products/ang

You will probably need to trim the old soldiers shorter ideally with a disc cutter so that you can put them back again in reduced space taken by the lintel.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Blag - I like the idea of taking out the two bearer bricks and cutting them shorter so that they hold the angle at the right height. If I was to do this, I'm not sure why I'd need to shorten the soldiers at all?

Thanks Blag - I like the idea of taking out the two bearer bricks and cutting them shorter so that they hold the angle at the right height. If I was to do this, I'm not sure why I'd need to shorten the soldiers at all?

This is likely due to the the window head and existing soldiers probably touching. You need to to create a gap for the steel. Also a small bed for the soldier bearing on the lintel as the bricks are unlikely to sit perfectly without a bed.

Ah gotcha. It looks like I have around 15mm so might just get away with it. Lintel ordered so will see how I get on when I offer it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back