Missing Minor Works Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Never posted on here before but I would really appreciate some advice!

We had an Overbath shower fitted in the bathroom shortly after we moved in in 2005. The Electrician we used issued us with a minor works certificate when he completed the job.

We are now in the process of selling our House and I can't find the certificate anywhere!

Just wondering - what are our options - would the Local Authority have a copy? Can I get another certificate issued by the same electrician? Would I need to get the shower reinstalled??

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Certificates help but they are not conclusive proof that the work is as per the certificate. And after the certificate was issued the system referred to could have been changed and the certificate invalidated.

Most sensible buyers will check what they are buying and not what the certificates say should still be there.

Sponsored Links
1) The minor works certificate should in a bathroom also have a completion certificate which is the important one. You should not need minor works if you have the completion cert as it could not have been issued without the minor works.
2) The completion cert will have a copy with LABC so they should be able to issue a replacement.
3) It is unlikely that the electrician still has a copy but always worth asking.
4) Normally an "Electrical installation condition report" (EICR) formally called a (PIR) will do instead.

There is no way you would need the shower re-installed just because a bit of paper is missing. The Part P came in 2004 so before that it was common not to have paperwork. I would tend to lie and say planned 2004 before Part P so Completion Cert was not required.

Even today I can change my consumer unit without Part P as I planned it before 2004. (Together with all other notifiable work) Yes the minor works should have been issued in 20th Century but until Part P it was often missed. With a shower to replace I suppose should be minor works but to fit new should be a full Installation Cert as it involves a new circuit. So even if you did find it if some one is being pedantic it may not be correct. So if the buyer was being a pain asking for them the simple answer is to say you can't find them and so are will to have an "Electrical installation condition report" which will then include whole house.

The Electrician should have a copy and might provide you with one, there will probably be a charge. If the job was notified you should have received a notice of this at about the same time as your certificate - the local authority would then have some details too.

Hi all

Thanks for your posts making me feel less stressed!!

The installation was in fact a complete new Shower, there was nothing there before, the contractor actually only gave us a minor works certificate.

I haven't yet responded to the buyers solicitor, so before I do I will check with the electrician to see if he has a copy and I will also check with the Local Authority although with it being a Minor Works I doubt it!

I might not say about the shower - and hope it doesn't get picked up - if it does I will say I will have a PIR carried out at my expense and hope this does the trick!

Thanks again :)

Prob best way to tackle it as your electrician has issued you with the wrong certificate anyways, a minor works is only for alterations to an existing circuit .NOT a new circuit, this must have an installation completion certificate issued for it.

Nick

Prob best way to tackle it as your electrician has issued you with the wrong certificate anyways, a minor works is only for alterations to an existing circuit .NOT a new circuit, this must have an installation completion certificate issued for it.

Nick

Unless the electrician is with Napit who have a minor work/single circuit certificate combined.

You could not have an Electrical Installation Condition Report issued as no such thing exists yet. Amendment No. 1 to BS 7671:2008 has not yet been published let alone come into force so it remains a Periodic Inspection Report for an Electrical Installation at this time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back