Mist coat advice on ratio and paint type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had a room re plastered and I've been doing a bit of reading up on mist coats but there is lots of conflicting advice out there so I've become a bit confused and have a couple of questions.

- I already have a 10l tub of homebase white matt emulsion (over a year old) would this be ok to use? Some people stated best to use a contract matt rather than vinyl but the tub doesn't state what type it is but I'm guessing it is most likely vinyl.

-If it is ok to use would a 20% water ratio be fine as this is what the tub states to dilute it. Most places I've read suggest 30 - 50%.

- On another topic I've noticed that some area's of the plaster are quite rough especially near edges and in corners. Is it best to sand these down and fill in any small holes before or after the mist coat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ive just done this in the spare room after a skim.

use matt i went for b & q value stuff and about 50/50 mix. two coats and all was ready for the proper coat.

dont see why so many people bang on about crown etc really not worth the money.

people probably wont agree but ive proved it works myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back