Mistake made whilst re-pointing - how to clean mortar off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a bit of a mistake during my 1st repointing attempt on my house. I only did a small area as a trial but have been left with mortar residue on the surface of the bricks I pointed - white coloured smearing on them. I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough and spread some of the mix over them when taking the excess mortar off.

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove this from the bricks?

Also whats the best way to ensure this doesn't happen in the future?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Use can use mortar acid, but wait until the mortar is a few days old otherwise it will eat the mortar too as well as the stains.

You mix sounds like it was probably too wet.

on second thoughts how long ago was it done? It's not efflourescence is it?

Sponsored Links
then its not efflourescence so wait a few days and then hit it with the mortar acid. Also don't buy the cementone stuff its crap

Brick Acid. Follow instructions on can If badly smeared may require two applications.
Advice from a real old un, unless you have two or three hundred metres of wall somewhere to practise on, do not attempt to do your own house.
You have a property worth anywhere between 150k to possibly 300k. Why devalue it by possibly 40% attempting to do something you know nothing what so ever about.
There are a lot of very good bricklayers about who can not use a pointing trowel to make a decent job of struck pointing.
Do yourself a favour and get a quote from a lad using a pointing gun, day in and day out. Ask to see his work after giving you a quote.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back