Mitre non 90 degree skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondering if anyone could help. I live in an old house and was trying to put new skirting in the living rooms, however none of the wall angles are an exact 90 degrees. Due to this the mitres don't fit especially on the external cuts. :cry:
Couls anyone point me in the right direction on how to rectify this. I have tried just filling the space but as I'm keping the wood natural it looks awful.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Hi gme106,

I don't mitre skirting boards, dado etc. I fit one length with into a corner. Then I mark the profile of the skirting on the end of the piece I will fit on the other wall. Then using a coping saw cut carefully around the outline, if it's not 90° than just cut at a slight angle. It should fit snugly in and look 100%.

I hope I have explained this ok.

What we normally do is to under cut it which you can do on the mitre block say at 42 degree(depending what the angle of the walls is)so the external edge meet up but not internal unless you're handsaw expert if not then do as uskys post.

Thanks for the replies.
I did try what Uskys said but hand tools and me don't mix so i've been using a power mitre saw, so that brings me back to Masonas option.
Masona do you mean that I should cut one side at 45 and the other at say 42 (obvoiusly depending upon the angle). Where my wall & chimney brest meet the angle is about 96 degrees so how would I cut this??? :oops:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
48 and 48, keep both angles the same or one will stand "proud".
You can also buy "stopper", a wood filler that matches the colour of the wood you are filling ( it comes in a range of colours), this will accept varnish/stain and has a minimal "show" (I used it on a mahogany chest and the old handle holes have dis-appeared from the outside).

Scooby where do you get the 'Stopper' and what make is it??

Many Thanks.

I got it from a local hardware/iromongers, not a "superstore". You know the type, where the fella behind the counter looks like Arkwright (open all hours). Can't remember the make but comes in a tin about the same size as a large humbrol enamel paint tin (i.e. small). Sorry cant help further, it was about 4 years ago, I've searched me shed but can't find it, mind I've moved twice since did the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back