Mitre Saw for coving??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit some coving and am thinking of using my mitre saw to cut the angles. Am I right in thinking that if I lay the coving face down and use a compound angle I could get it to work??
Because the coving is quite large I cannot stand it up in the saw like normal as it taller than the back plate on the saw but if I lay it face down and rotate the table at 35° and angle the blade at 30° from vertical this (I think !) should give me the equivelant of a normal 45° mitre due to the compound angle.

Can anyone confirm that this would work??

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Why not use a piece wood as a false back plate, but higher.
You could even rebate the wood, so your coving would not only be pushed back, but would also sit on the rebate.

Ive used many different types of coving mitres and most of them dont work.I now use a Wickes one for £1.99. curved blue plastic. works every time. :LOL:

Mitre block far easier.
Try browsing through This to get an idea of how mitres will look. At a pinch you could even print off the templates that apply to your cove/cornice and use them..but a mitre block as robbi says .. is the best ;)

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update, I did use the 35° + 30° compound angle with the coving face down and it worked perfectly ! Much more stable than than trying to hold it at 90° too !! :p

Sorry for bumbling this, but had to say thanks to webrits. Couldn't find info anywhere about using a power mitre for coving only the blocks. Using his angles worked a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back