Mitre Saw for dado rail and coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are not diy'ers but have got several rooms to cove with plaster type coving and dado rails.

I've just bought from Argos a Challenge Electric Mitre Saw which I hoped was going to make life a bit easier. Have I bought the right tool for the job? There are no instructions with the saw as I spose they expect people who buy them to know what they are doing.

If I've bought the wrong thing what should I get? I'd like to know asap as I will take it back before we get it out of the box and start practising. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
An electric compound saw is not really for plaster coving or dado. Timber dado yes, but you may need a finer blade than the rough one which normally comes with the saw

Look for a ' Magic Mitre ' box to cut plaster coving or dado, or get one of those small aluminium guides normally on the shelf next to the coving

I have always used my Mitre saw for coving amongst other things :oops:

Sorry woody. Does this mean i'm a naughty boy... :confused:

Well, you can use it for cutting the beef joint on Sunday if you want, but its not really meant for that either.

No so much naughty, more misguided. So consider this a mild reprimand

Through the dust, I've seen them used for plaster products, and also dodged bits of flying plastic when some guy is cutting hollow soffits with a rough wood blade fitted. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
Through the dust, I've seen them used for plaster products, and also dodged bits of flying plastic when some guy is cutting hollow soffits with a rough wood blade fitted. :rolleyes:

Guilty as charged :oops:

Damn, I've already got a mitre box but it's not much use when the angle isn't 90 degrees exactly.

The Magic Mitre will take 4"coving. You also get a little device to put on the wall to check the corner angle, and then this transfers to the mitre box to set it at angles slightly over or under 90 degrees, so that the two cut mitres match.

You can probably get it for less than the qvc price though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back