mixed cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked this in the Electrics forum but wonder if this is a better place to ask.
I need to put in an extra phone socket and want to avoid running the 6 core cable up a wall. There is a length of plastic flexible conduit with three single core 2.5mm cables in it. These supply a socket next to where I need the phone socket. Is it legal to run the phone cable in the same conduit? It seems wrong but I am wondering if it can be done and is safe.
The only reason I need the extra socket is that my wife keeps falling over and the local NHS have suggested a personal alarm. If she pushes it she can then talk to control viw a single box that seems to have a speaker and microphone. The only phone socket in the house is under the worktop in my study so I want another in a more central position. (I use cordless phones so only needed the one socket)

Sponsored Links
No, it is not a safe option. Imagine if there is a fault where the mains voltage gets to the phone cable and some poor telephone engineer is working up a pole on the line and suddenly gets a belt from you mixing mains and telephone wires.

I think they do make wireless alarm systems, which might meet your wife's needs.

No, it is not a safe option. Imagine if there is a fault where the mains voltage gets to the phone cable and some poor telephone engineer is working up a pole on the line and suddenly gets a belt from you mixing mains and telephone wires.
I think they do make wireless alarm systems, which might meet your wife's needs.

Thanks, I'd not considered the danger to some engineer, that certainly is very important. I think my option is to run the wire on the surface untill I have time to bury it and redecorate.

Sponsored Links
if the conduit is surface mounted you an almost hide a phone cable in the gap where the wall and the conduit meet. ie tucked against the curve of the conduit against the wall. few dabs of hot glue and it will be virtually invisible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back