Mixer shower and equalising pressures - advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone could shed some light on this.

I'm looking to purchase a Mira Pace mixer shower, but one of its requirements is, equal water pressure for both hot and cold water sources.

My bath's hot water piped from a hot water tank, which is filled from a cold water tank in the loft, and thereafter, heated by a standard hot water boiler. I suppose you could call this a gravity-fed low pressure system.

Now, my bath's cold water is mains-fed, which I guess is deemed as a high pressure system - I should add that, in terms of water flow, both hot and cold are fairly similar (hot = 20 litres per minute - cold = 23 litres per minute).

I understand, to make both sources equal in water pressure, you can buy what's called a 'water pressure equalising valve'.

Would fitting one of these allow me to purchase the Mira Pace? And if so, where is the best place to fit the device - after connecting both T joints going to the shower (this means only the shower's pressure is equalised), or before (this means that both shower and bath will have equal pressure). Any recommendations? Which valve is best for this job?

Mira claim, even with this valve, I cannot use the Pace mixer shower because the pressure from the hot water may be less that one bar - I certainly don't think that is the case.

I hope I made sense, and I would appreciate it if you could advise me on this.

Thanks.

Dave. :) :)

Sponsored Links
Mira claim, even with this valve, I cannot use the Pace mixer shower because the pressure from the hot water may be less that one bar - I certainly don't think that is the case.

well cause it will be unless you live in a tower block with the cws on the roof and the shower on the ground floor.

equalising valve will bring the highest pressure down to match the lowest pressure to make them balanced.

theirs no way your hot water pressure is above 1 bar more like 0.2bar.
every meter is 0.1 bar for your hot water to get 1 bar you would need a distance from your cws to your shower head 10m - 30ft.

and fitting your mixer to gravity supplies without a pump will be like standing under a dripping tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back