Mixing 10mm and 15mm with radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing boiler with an air source heat pump, and adding / replacing about half of the radiators in the house. The feed/return loop plumbing is all 22mm, but while old radiators are 10mm plumbing mostly off a couple brass manifolds, new rads are 15mm plumbing. Will mixing piping in this way be a problem for my system? Hoping to avoid swapping out all the old 10mm copper unless I need to...

Sponsored Links
Aye, I'd definitely taken note of that - and that's why all the new rads are going in with 15mm. What I'm wondering here is whether I can get by without causing some kind of technical fault by using existing pipework (which will probably be replaced later in the future for the sake of low temp flow).

I do not think that you will create any technical fault.

But just that the balancing will need to be done carefully.

And depending on the 10mm runs you might never get quite enough heat into some of those rads.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid 10mm.

Heat pumps typically need higher flow rates due to the lower delta's on the flow and return. It could create flow alarms on the ASHP if there isn't enough flow to obtain suitable throughput for it to deliver the required system output. Some ASHP installations even require a 28/35mm backbone as normal 22mm pipework means a significant rise in system velocity to meet demand and therefore create more system noise.

That aside, when you mix pipe sizes then balancing becomes key as the lower resistance through the 15mm pipe will mean those rads will naturally obtain more flow.
That and old 10mm pipe and manifolds could be furred up somewhat unless the system water was pristine and kept that way throughout it's life up till now.

I would ensure that your installer is well versed in setting these systems up to ensure you have a trouble free installation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back