Mixing mapei keraquick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Since i have never tiled before, i will just mixing enough adhesive to cover 1 square meter at a time which leads to the following questions:

1) Certainly, mixing just that little amount with a paddle and electric drill is a bit impractical....i have experienced it yesterday, when a was mixing small quantities of mortar, basically i ended up with splashes everywhere. Will it be ok to mix it with a trowel and for how long. If you use an electric drill, they say you should mix it for 2-3 minutes then let it rest but they do not say anything when you mix it with a trowel.

2) Do i have to wash the bucket after each mix?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
Also, is the above adhesive suitable for glass mosaics? On the pack says that it is suitable for glass tiles. Does it include glass mosaics?

Hi guys. Since i have never tiled before, i will just mixing enough adhesive to cover 1 square meter at a time which leads to the following questions:
One square metre at a time is a bit small but if that’s what you’re comfortable with, that’s OK. Keraquick has a rather short pot life of 30 minutes so is not an ideal choice for DIY, only mix up what you can comfortably use in around 25 minutes allowing time to clean your bucket & tools.

1) Certainly, mixing just that little amount with a paddle and electric drill is a bit impractical....i have experienced it yesterday, when a was mixing small quantities of mortar, basically i ended up with splashes everywhere. Will it be ok to mix it with a trowel and for how long. If you use an electric drill, they say you should mix it for 2-3 minutes then let it rest but they do not say anything when you mix it with a trowel.
Sounds like you’re mixing too thin. It’s recommended to use paddle mixing only to avoid an inconsistent mix. The rest time is to allow time for any air to dissipate & for the mix to become consistent. Beware over mixing with a paddle mixer, it will reduce the pot life.
2) Do i have to wash the bucket after each mix?
It’s essential you clean your bucket & tools thoroughly between mixes, any residue will reduce the pot life of the subsequent mix.

Also, is the above adhesive suitable for glass mosaics? On the pack says that it is suitable for glass tiles. Does it include glass mosaics?
What tiles are they? Are they on the walls or floor? What colour? What colour is the Keraquick grey or white? Do they have a mesh base on the back or have a paper facing? Are they resin backed?

Hi Karis thanks again for your time. They are glass wall mosaics, mesh at the back, light green colour, and the sheet is about 250 by 250 I would say. On the Mapei Keraflex data sheet, it says that it is suitable for glass tiles.... are glass mosaics considered like glass tiles? The adhesive is white btw. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Assuming your grouting in white, should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back