DIY Tiler: Ready Mix or Powder Adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I've always used ready mixed, and have done 'whole' bathrooms and showers before. Thought I'd ask the pros this time. I assume mix-yourself is cheaper? Can you mix this by hand, or do you need a whisk thing for the drill?

Cheers

CG

Sponsored Links
It's not about the cost, rather how the adhesive works.

Ready mixed tub slop has to dry out, which will take a rather long time once it's behind the tiles with only the grout lines exposed to the air.

Powder adhesive is a cement product and sets by a chemical reaction, and can be made so that it sets much faster and far stronger than any tub slop ever will.
It doesn't need to dry out to set, and is what's normally used for large tiles.

However the fact it's made from cement does have other considerations, such as not applying it over plaster surfaces and certainly not getting it onto your skin.
The fast set time may not be desirable for people inexperienced with tiling - but can be very useful when tiling floors or other places where it's not practical to wait for hours/days.

Powder adhesive is better imo.
Buy a cheap mixing drill, a large bucket, scale and measuring jug so to make everything easy.
Use manufacturer instructions about water/adhesive ratio and unless you're very quick buy adhesive with long workability rather than the pros half hour dry.

Sponsored Links
I use bal adhesive 8 hours usability when in a closed pot but it's a matter of preference.
I usually mix 10kg at once and put in a clean paint bucket with lid.
Every time i stop troweling to stick tiles I close the lid.
Mosaic is the same as tiles, I don't think there's a special product for it and when I fixed a few feature mosaic tiles I found the same adhesive effective.

Be very careful with mosaic. Thin level bed needed or very easy to get in a right mess depth wise. If building out to be the same depth as porc or ceramics, make a template spreader to the correct depth & drag across.

Be very careful with mosaic. Thin level bed needed or very easy to get in a right mess depth wise. If building out to be the same depth as porc or ceramics, make a template spreader to the correct depth & drag across.

I am mixing thicknesses, but not on the same walls, so can avoid that banana-skin. cheers

It’s very easy to try & level out mosaic & end up with adhesive squeezing through the joints.

When inserting a row of mosaics into a panel of larger and thicker tiles, what has worked for me is to use a grout gun loaded with adhesive to give me good control to apply a single band of adhesive under each row of the mosaics. I have found this better than making a spreader which does tend to push the adhesive around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back