Mixing smaller quantities of mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here used a drill mixer for mortar ? I mean the high torque low reving type often used by plasterers. I can't help but think that mortar may be too heavy going for them. In addition even at low revs it may not be suitable.

Using a cement mixer is all well and good, and they are great for doing concrete work where you need to shift a lot of material quickly. But for one man bricklaying the mortar quantity needs to be less and the mixer cleaned out after each batch.

Mixing mortar by hand is simply hard work, so I am looking at alternative means of mixing small batches.

Incidentally I have a Belle 150 mixer, but I find it works best with a full barrowload at a time.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone here used a drill mixer for mortar ? I mean the high torque low reving type often used by plasterers. I can't help but think that mortar may be too heavy going for them. In addition even at low revs it may not be suitable.

Using a cement mixer is all well and good, and they are great for doing concrete work where you need to shift a lot of material quickly. But for one man bricklaying the mortar quantity needs to be less and the mixer cleaned out after each batch.

Mixing mortar by hand is simply hard work, so I am looking at alternative means of mixing small batches.

Incidentally I have a Belle 150 mixer, but I find it works best with a full barrowload at a time.

You can put all the stuff in a barrel and roll / kick it around the garden. There was a product sold that was like this. Still needs to be cleaned out after each use.
What's the problem with cleaning out the mixer ? A hose / pressure washer would do (wear goggles to avoid getting sand in your eyes).
You might find the mixer works better at a different angle. Try tilting it forward of back a bit (a plank under the legs etc)
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back