best way to mix small amounts of mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a DIYer with young kids! time is a struggle and Im often carrying out running repairs on an old stone garden wall that goes right round the house and the inside of the building as I work my way round stripping and insulating the old house.

I may occasionally need to mix a decent amount of concrete for fence posts etc but do cement mixers work for very small quantitys of mortar? Im talking probably a standard builders bucket at a time.

or are these hand held wisk type mixers better? Im worried they will just throw a bucket around and be less controlled, throwing the cement dust everywhere etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a DIYer with young kids! time is a struggle and Im often carrying out running repairs on an old stone garden wall that goes right round the house and the inside of the building as I work my way round stripping and insulating the old house.

I may occasionally need to mix a decent amount of concrete for fence posts etc but do cement mixers work for very small quantitys of mortar? Im talking probably a standard builders bucket at a time.

or are these hand held wisk type mixers better? Im worried they will just throw a bucket around and be less controlled, throwing the cement dust everywhere etc

Thanks

They are not very good for small amounts, as most of it is coating the inside of the mixer and paddles. Worse if the mixer is old and a bit battered / caked up.
Builders bucket probably just about OK.

For smaller amounts, a spade is how you mix it !

I wouldn't use a mixer for a bucket full. I don't always even use a shovel for a small amount like that. Can use a 12 inch bricklaying trowel.

A whisk is no good for mortar

Use a wheelbarrow, a gorilla tub, or a couple of black builders buckets. Or a good old fashions spot board

Sponsored Links
Mix by hand.

You need a flat and reasonably smooth surface to mix on. Measure out the dry components and mix them with a trowel - bring a scoop in from the side, put it on top of the pile, and "chop, chop, chop, ..." working back out. Don't worry too much about a consistent mix yet, but make sure any lumps are broken up - not that any of us DIYers would ever use cement that's at all past it's best :rolleyes:

Form the dry material into a pile, and spread it out so there's a well in the middle surrounded by a ridge. Pour a little water in, and repeat the mixing process - bring in dry mix from the outside and mix it in. When there's no free liquid, give the whole lot a mix to distribute the "damp" mix. Form a fresh well, add a little water, mix, and keep repeating until you get the consistency you need - just be aware that it goes from "too dry" to "too wet" with only a small amount of water once you are nearly there.

For small amounts use a small trowel, for larger amounts use a shovel, in between, use a medium trowel.

Woody is right....

But by the sound of what your doing get to Travis Perkins or similar and buy a plastic mixing bath....worth their weight in gold as when not in use they become a great place to store tools/materials etc.

Whatever your mix 4-1 compo, 5 or 6-1 concrete etc etc, gauge the gear in a bucket or similar..ie 1 of cement 4 of sand. You will soon find which size of bucket suits your needs. For smaller amounts use a gorilla.

Mix the lot together DRY...only when mixed up do you add water, much easier that way..as someone else said...it soon goes from to dry to, to wet...in that case just sling a small amount of sand in but i mean small not a bucket full lol...

Regarding your comment re concrete for posts....assuming you need to fix A post now and then, not lots all together?

So, dont waste your time mixing concrete, just buy a bag of PostMix, dig your hole, put the post in with some water down there, surround with PostMix, pour water on top...level the post, check/re-level after 5 mins....leave it to go off, job done...

Pre mixed bagged mortar and concretes are ideal for these applications, some are even available in tubs.

Postcrete is definitely the best solution to fixing fence posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back