Mixing up cement for chamfer - cem 1 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an area where a wall butts up against floor level and would like to run a chamfer along the perimeter. External job.

Research suggests using cem 1 cement or tanking slurry with some added SBR and then to use a margin trowel to form the chamfer. Then use a sponge to work everything over before the mix properly hardens.

I'm having trouble finding cem1 cement, and I was wondering whether cem1 is just another name for ordinary Portland cement? It's difficult to find the answer.

I can find plenty of cem 2 cement which is a softer mix and I want this to be as hard as possible as it will endure a fair amount of weathering. So I want cem 1.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If you ask builders merchants about Cem1 half will look at you as if your from another planet. Cem1 is classed as ordinary portland cement and cem2 has fly ash and other stuff in.
I came upon the problem you are having when using sovereign waterproofer which specifies cem1 or results could be catastrophic.
I found an Irish co did Prem cem1 but not sure where you will get it.
If you use a goodly amount of Sbr in your mix it should be fine for what your doing but don't use an enhanced cement like blue circle in yellow bags

Last edited:
If you ask builders merchants about Cem1 half will look at you as if your from another planet. Cem1 is classed as ordinary portland cement and cem2 has fly ash and other stuff in.
I came upon the problem you are having when using sovereign waterproofer which specifies cem1 or results could be catastrophic.
I found an Irish co did Prem cem1 but not sure where you will get it.
If you use a goodly amount of Sbr in your mix it should be fine for what your doing but don't use an enhanced cement like blue circle in yellow bags

You're a star mate. Thanks for the added information. I'm assuming a bag of ordinary OPC will do the job then. Yes I'll avoid the blue circle in the yellow bags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back