MK 32amp DP switch

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know if they exist without the neon?
Not that I am aware of. You might find one of a different make.
Also, is as 32amp switch OK for a 32amp circuit. The oven in 20amp.
It can be argued (although I don't doubt that some would disagree!) that if the circuit is supplying just (i.e. only) a 20A oven, then a 20A-rated switch is adequate.

Alternatively, if the oven only requires 20A, you could change the MCB to a 20A one, then no-one could argue against a 20A-rated switch!

Kind Regards, John

No. Their 20A and 50A switches are available without neon, but not the 32A flavoured one for some strange reason

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

The reason for MK, is all my other FCUs and sockets are MK. The neon isn't really a deal-breaker as they're in 'discrete' locations.

I've seen both arguments of what John says, which is why I asked!

I've seen both arguments of what John says, which is why I asked!
The 20A MCB option (if 20A is all you want/need of the circuit) is, I would think, non-contentious.

As for a 20A switch on a 32A circuit, I would personally be perfectly happy if it was only switching the supply to a '20A oven'. However, as you appear to realise, others may disagree!

Kind Regards, John

The problem occurs when someone comes alone and fits a bigger oven and hob and doesn't bother changing the switch.

I would bet that MK switch doesn't fit in with your other MK accessories.

You also need to consider wire and terminal sizes.

The problem occurs when someone comes alone and fits a bigger oven and hob and doesn't bother changing the switch.
I guess that depends upon whether you believe a switch has to be 'rated' for the before-diversity or after-diversity current. If the latter, then a 20A-rated switch is good for up to about 43A (before diversity) worth of cooking appliances.

More generally, there's the question as to the extent to which one has to design on the basis of what inappropriate changes someone may effect in the future.

Kind Regards, John

It seems that the single gang 32A switch is only available with a neon.

The vertical 2-gang 45A switch is available without a neon. So is the horizontal 2-gang switch+socket combination.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-my/Pr...witches/50AMPmouldedflush/Pages/K5205WHI.aspx
https://www.mkelectric.com/en-my/Pr...trols/45AMPmouldedsurface/Pages/K5040WHI.aspx

Personally if you don't like neons and you want it to fit in I'd go for the horizontal 2-gang one with a socket. Especially as you have plenty of spare capacity on the circuit.

Ideally, you could get a vertical one with socket.

Basically, I have the 45a oblong one (vertical), next to a bank of FCUs (in a 3x3 pattern).

We would like a socket amongst the FCUs.

The route of the cables is from the left of this bank of FCUs, with the cooker control first, so it would be easy to retro-fit a single socket into the FCU/sockets circuit (which is obviously different to the cooker circuit).

Current:

What I had in mind:

Ideally, you could get a vertical one with socket.

There is one brand which does that. Seen them on ebay. One of the cheaper brands in white.

Can't find it now! I think it was a volex or similar

Why do you want all them FCU's for ?

I'm not a big fan of central grid switches, but would think it would look better than all those fcu's ? ??

More generally, there's the question as to the extent to which one has to design on the basis of what inappropriate changes someone may effect in the future.
Generally John, I'd agree, however I'm sure many electricians will not take the switch off and look at the rating on the back, especially if the cable is all rated to 32A as well.

Permanent marker written warning on the CCU would probably aleviate that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back