Swap a 32AMP Switch with a 45AMP switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am changing the face plates of all the switches in my kitchen. There are numerous, one for each appliance...Washing Machine, Hot Water Heater, Fridge etc. On the advice of the manufacturer I was told 20AMP switches would suit all appliances. Only now that I have taken the old ones off, the majority are 20AMP which is fine, although the cooker oven and cooker hob are 32AMP. I spoke to the manufacturer again who said they do not make 32AMP switches any more :!: so they sent me out a couple of 45AMP DP switches instead.

I would just like a second confirmation that it will be ok to swap the two 32AMP switches with 45AMP ones. He even said it would be fine to run the cooker hob on a 20AMP switch, which has confused me even more!

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

Sponsored Links
Is it a gas hob, or electric?

If electric, what is its rating?

But in general, you'll be absolutely fine with 45A switches - a good analogy would be fitting tyres rated to 150mph to a car which could only do 100....

All switches should be bigger than the protective device so swapping a 32A for 45A should be OK assuming it is still protected by a 30/32A fuse/MCB.

In most cases a hob would be too big to be controlled by 20A switch although likely it would be OK for an oven.

My 8.5. kW (37amp) shower is controlled by a 63amp rated AC22A isolation switch outside the bathroom door, fed off a B40 breaker on the RCD side of the consumer unit. Perfectly safe to use. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all replies. It is an all electric oven. I am now re-assured that it is ok to swap the 32A switches with the 45A ones.

Thanks again!

Graeme

He even said it would be fine to run the cooker hob on a 20AMP switch, which has confused me even more!
That would confuse anyone, on the grounds that it's utterly wrong.

Could it be that he actually said cooker "hood"?

We still don't know if it's a gas hob, and only needs electrickery for ignition....

You're right - I stand corrected.

Ignore me.

ideal_marco.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back