mk double switch to socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi running a mk double 2 way switch to a socket.

Sswitch has 4 terminals at each side. (8 in total).
Each bank has a com . Sp ( no terminal inside). 1 (way), 2.

My old light switch has 3 wires. Blue. Brown. Yellow. And is in room that has two light switches to one fluorescent light.. .

On the new switch I presume the yellow (switch)goes in the 2. blue (1) and brown (com).

The other side will be used to run a 5amp socket. Which will comprise of a spur from socket to a fcu with 5 amp fuse. Take the brown to com. Connect the earth and neutral together with new wire .

Take the new wire brown to the 1 terminal in switch. Then join them up with the socket.

Wire would be 2 5 from socket spur to fcu. 1mm to switch and then to socket. Wires wil be 150mm from corner .

Does this sound ok.

Sponsored Links
Switch has 4 terminals at each side. (8 in total).
Each bank has a com . Sp ( no terminal inside). 1 (way), 2.
My old light switch has 3 wires. Blue. Brown. Yellow. And is in room that has two light switches to one fluorescent light.. .
Red, Blue and Yellow.

On the new switch I presume the yellow (switch)goes in the 2. blue (1) and brown (com).
The relevant Com will be the one OPPOSITE the 1 and 2; not the one on the same side.
It should be wired the same as the other switch which operates the same light.

The other side will be used to run a 5amp socket.
That's not possible. The black wire is not a Neutral. It is being used to send power to the light - a switched live.

Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from a load back to the supply.
It is not simply a name for any Black or Blue wire.

Does this sound ok.
Nope.

I thought they were taking a new supply off the RFC via a fused spur for the 5A socket? I had to read the post about 5 times to get there though!!

Sponsored Links
I think I deciphered it correctly.

Hi running a mk double 2 way switch to a socket.

The other side will be used to run a 5amp socket.

Take the new wire brown to the 1 terminal in switch. Then join them up with the socket.

Yes red yellow and blue. And taking the neutral and earth from the fcu.

Heres a pic of wires .
And one of double switch .

Attachments

• 20160629_220552.jpg
    20160629_220552.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 125
  • 1467234585631.jpg
    1467234585631.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 120
I had to read the post about 5 times to get there though!!
You have a much greater tolerance for people who CBA to write properly than I do.

So much so that it becomes pandering to them, and letting them get away with their lazy, insulting behaviour, and encouraging in them the belief that there is no need to do it properly because someone else will do the work for them.

Not good.

Umn b.a.s . Insulting behaviour. Where is evidence of that ?, lazy ?. How is that . I ask for help. Not to get degrade

Lazy?

You CBA to write properly - it is not only I who finds your posts hard to comprehend.

Insulting? That you are lazy when asking for help, and expect people here to struggle to understand you because you don't see why you should bother to put the effort in.

Ok I could have worded it better or took out some clutter (read it through before posting) .

Quick version.

Connect 2 gang way switch to existing one gang switch. Contains 3 wires red.blue and yellow (see pic in previous post).

I assume Red is hot, blue switch and yellow for two way switching. ( got two switches in room to control one light).

I want to run a socket from the other switch. Take power spured from socket to 5a fcu. Then run a 1mm cable up to switch . But join the neutral and earth together , then run to socket

.I assume Red is hot, blue switch and yellow for two way switching. ( got two switches in room to control one light).
Hot is an American term. We call it Line.
All three are hot some of time.

I want to run a socket from the other switch. Take power spured from socket to 5a fcu. Then run a 1mm cable up to switch . But join the neutral and earth together , then run to socket
You cannot. There is no neutral (see answers in previous post).

Thanks for answer . I was going to just switch the live through the switch and take the neutral and earth from the fcu that will be powering .the switch
Join the neutral and earth to the cable leaving box

So when it gets to the socket l, n, and e will be connected to socket.

Picture of proposed wiring.

As you can see the earth and neutral from both cables are joined together in box.

The switch is to switch the live.

So cable from fcu to switch com (only live connected, ). And cable from l1 only live connected.
Then all 3 wires connected to socket.

Please excuse the rough drawing .

Attachments

• 1467245308801.jpg
    1467245308801.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 116
Ah, so the others were right.

Yes, that would work but -

the socket that you call a spur - if it is actually already a spur from the ring circuit then not technically correct without another FCU (13A) before it, or you could replace it with your 5A FCU.

If, though, it is a socket on the ring circuit or a radial circuit then it's fine.

Cable should be run horizontally or vertically from accessories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back